Ford Transit Connect Forum

Mirror for turning left (in USA)

Rab

Hi,

I just bought a 2016 Ford Transit Connect van with the solid side doors.  When I turn left at a junction, I can't see if there is anything coming, and as I'm 6ft4, it's tough to even reach forward enough to be able to see.  I almost got hit by a car last night when I turned out to the left and couldn't see it.  I've tried putting on a stick on aftermarket mirror, but it seems I need something completely different such as a huge mirror that fits onto the dashboard or such.

I've googled looking for this and all I can find is aftermarket mirrors which solve blind spots when changing lanes.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks, Rab

https://smile.amazon.com/Offset-Chrome-Convex-Peterbilt-Freightliner/dp/B0028OMS24/ref=sr_1_31?ie=UTF8&qid=1479084695&sr=8-31&keywords=convex+truck+mirror

• 8" Offset Chrome Convex Truck Mirror for Peterbilt and Freightliner
Click to open expanded view

8" Offset Chrome Convex Truck Mirror for Peterbilt and Freightliner

by GPD

Price: $19.99 & FREE Shipping
  • 8" Offset Chrome Convex Truck Mirror for Peterbilt and Freightliner
Click to open expanded view

• 2 weeks later...

I think the stock mirrors installed in the TC van without windows is way too small. The newer vans have a much larger mirrors available and I am hoping the local junk yard gets a van in with the larger mirrors. Those mirrors have a wide angle mirror the entire width of the mirror. It might solve your problem.

• 2 months later...
On 11/13/2016 at 0:04 PM, mrtn said:

I've driven solid panel vans for 10 years now. You'll get used to it, guaranteed.

Thanks - A couple of months later, I'm getting used to it.  I actually think about it when I'm pulling up to junctions to position the car in a angle where I can see.  I try and avoid U-turn intersections where I can. 

4 minutes ago, Rab said:

I actually think about it when I'm pulling up to junctions to position the car in a angle where I can see.  I try and avoid U-turn intersections where I can. 

Right, such as railroad crossings that are not perpendicular etc.

On 11/26/2016 at 9:15 PM, bikinchris said:

I think the stock mirrors installed in the TC van without windows is way too small. The newer vans have a much larger mirrors available and I am hoping the local junk yard gets a van in with the larger mirrors. Those mirrors have a wide angle mirror the entire width of the mirror. It might solve your problem.

2014+ TC's (van or wagon) have two different mirrors available. Most get the "small" mirrors, but there's optional "large" mirrors that I wish the cargo vans had standard. One of my planned upgrades is getting the large mirrors to replace the small ones on my van, whenever I have extra money to blow on it... Haha.

Transit_Connect_Mirrors.jpg

Edited by jrm223
Added 2014+ for clarity