Ford Transit Connect Forum

Hello from Ann Arbor!

chong

So I've been researching Transits for a few months now with the intent of converting one into a camper/adventure van. Initially the plan for this was to lease a F150 for a year (I get special lease deals through my job) and buy a High Roof Transit. After months of trying to nail down the specific build, I came to the conclusion that it was just more than I was willing to pay (everything was coming in around $45k). One of my buddies suggested I look at the Transit Connect. While considerably smaller, I found this forum and found that the idea of a micro-camper might actually suit our needs better. We aren't going to be going full #vanlife as we both have jobs, a house, a cat, etc, but something that we can pull into a rest area and sleep while on a road trip to a mountain biking or skiing destination just might work.

We went out yesterday and test drove the 2016 Transit Connect LWB cargo van and absolutely loved it. So much so that we decided to pull the trigger! We were able to find an already built 2016 LWB 1.6L EB Van with a LOT of options. The MSRP on the thing is a hair over $30k. We are getting $3k in incentives on it, putting $5k down, and financing the rest at a pretty low interest rate (0% was available, but you had to give up $2500 in incentives to get it, doing the math it made more sense to suck up the interest). The only thing it doesn't have is SYNC3. I would have ordered a 2017, but when we went to configure it at the dealer I learned that EcoBoost wasn't an option in 2017. Even though the Ecoboost doesn't produce that much more power or torque over the 2.5L, it is an absolute requirement for me. We take a lot of trips through the mountains and my previous road trip vehicle (2005 Subaru Forester 2.5XS 5MT) was an absolute strugglebus above ~8k feet of elevation. Not fun when you have to drive 60mph the entire way across a state like Wyoming where the speed limit is 80mph. Turbo won't have that problem!

Here's the window sticker:

29296805244_8f8525b951_k.jpg

Hopefully the dealer transfer will go through tomorrow and we can bring it home!

Supporting evidence on why the Transit Connect will be perfect for us:

25832824931_f2da78e89f_k.jpg

28112156362_529853fc56_k.jpg

24129995596_df775c184e_k.jpg

18954382503_0f7675079f_k.jpg

18654808393_10c9d62ac4_k.jpg

9371057766_eda528a14b_b.jpg

Edited by chong
Fixing pictures

3 hours ago, T0ASTERvan said:

Morn Chong.. try copying just the image code and not the full embedded code from flickr.. I'll see if I can create a better tutorial in doing this alter today. But till then, I helped Torton a couple of days ago with his image posting dilemmas.

This worked! It's technically against Flickr's TOS, but I won't tell if you won't!

My Forester had 215,000 miles on it when I traded it in for my wife's 2016 Fiesta. It still had the original clutch too. It was a great winter car, but a typical winter trip for me is to leave work at 5pm and drive 600 miles one way into the UP to ski. I'm 6'5" tall so sleeping in the Forester was difficult. From a road trip persoective, the TC will allow me to be more comfortable (I can stretch out), but it will lack the amazing AWD system. I think a decent set of snow tires (see the thread I just started) will bridge the gap. The only thing I'm concerned with is the (lack of) ground clearance. I'm going to run it stock this winter and if necessary, explore lift options next summer.

My Forester sleeping arrangements:

13622754404_939418227c_c.jpg

The plan for the TC is a full on memory foam convertible bed with enough space to hold 1-2 bikes next to it. With no bikes, the plan is to have the bed flip out to sleep 2 people.

The other thing is that I'm not fully divesting myself of Subaru. This is the fastest thing on 4 wheels on a snow covered road:

8329421217_7caa297f15_c.jpg

2008 Subaru Impreza WRX. Turbo swapped with supporting fueling mods and calibration. It makes about 300hp at the wheels from 2700rpms all the way up to redline!

I didn't actually lay down in the cargo area, but I did some research before I pulled the trigger and know that I'll have to move one of the seats forward for my side of the "bed".

We are actually planning to camperize the TC, but it will be a relatively slow process. I'm shooting for 75% complete before the snow flies. I'm still researching the design and collecting up cardboard for the prototyping ;)

2 hours ago, T0ASTERvan said:

Best not get too excited.. and open everything and check everywhere.. crawl under it if you can.. About the only drawback I've seen under the van, is or could be a clearance issue.. the resonator tends to hang down at a bad tiles and forward.. Check my FlowMaster post to see if you'r willing to do their suggestion.

I've been reading up on that since you've tipped me off to that issue. It has me slightly concerned, but it's something I'm going to wait on to see if it actually causes me any issues. My goal is to not mess with anything other than the cargo hold (and SYNC) too much.

If you're really interested, go to a good muffler shop, and have everything OEM cut off and removed.  Then weld on a straight pipe, a small Cherry Bomb glasspack, and turndown to release the gas..  Unless, of course, local laws prohibit you from altering the OEM exhaust.

imm-87559_rz_xl.jpg?rep=Trueimm-87520_w.jpg?rep=FalseWLK-41013_xl.jpg?rep=False

We picked it up last night!

29927952056_dc972e0024_c.jpg

29334843564_4e3fcbe28e_c.jpg

29927953526_a064b866f6_c.jpg

I'm honestly surprised by how good the fuel economy seems to be on the highway. My commute is about 30 miles and 90% highway. With the cruise set at 70mph the calculated instant fuel economy never dipped below 30mpg once I got up to speed. Obviously, it will drop once we start adding the weight of the camper conversion, but so far so good. I just need to train myself to drive an automatic again. I keep stomping on the floor!

Now that we have it Mrs. Chong has started with the scope creep. I wasn't initially planning any sort of extra batteries or shore power hookups, but she wants it so I have to figure it out. That's now been added to the list. The first phase is going to be a lot of wiring:

1. Convert MyFord Touch to SYNC3 (easy)
  2. Figure out if I can self install the OEM Upfit Wiring Harness
  3. Heated Seats (easy)
  4. AUX Batteries and Shore power system

With good tires the TC is just fine in the snow, not all weel drive good.  The traction control algorithm was written buy someone who never had to drive up hill in the snow. Find out how to switch it off in the info center and be ready to turn it off. The resonator is no issue in the snow.

3 hours ago, T0ASTERvan said:

Nice that you got the double door version.. I would have opted for this myself if allowed to do it over. Keep the tires at or a little above the load rating.. Later on, check for other tires and wheels if you get the itch. But going slightly larger would could gain a bit more in the load rating index.. going from 97 to 99 or more depending on the tire. Plus increasing the tire size would allow for less revelations thus fuel savings and you might be surprised to learn that by adding the K&N drop in air filter (not the cold air intake) can increase your torque, horses and fuel savings.. I didn't believe it till I seen it with my own eyes. Filling up ($20.00) every two weeks..

Oh btw.. just noticed you have the stock mirrors on your van.. and seeing how you're taller than the Mrs.. you two will constantly fight over where these mirrors should be pointed/placed.. I would opt for the hauling mirrors in this case. Which are taller and slightly wider. 

Another thing.. I couldn't tell if you have the padded center console armrest.. if you don't, again you and the Mrs. may end up fighting over who get's to use the slim single seat armrrest. Just a few things we've discovered over the 1 year of ownership.. 

Hah keep thinking of things here.. tell me your view of the center dash speedometer?.. I bet you can't see this like I can't.. That stupid hood over the display blocks my view of the center screen.. but then again You might not sit as close to the steering wheel as I do.

Hrmm... No multiquote either. Oh well...

I'll change the summer tires when I wear them out. I'm cheap like that. I already have a race car, don't need the van to handle like one ;)

Stock mirrors, yup we fight over the mirrors in all of our 3 cars.

We do have the big padded arm rest. No drama there!

I can't see the speedo either (I sit all the way back and all the way down). I have the center screen in speedo mode ;) 

3 hours ago, G B L said:

With good tires the TC is just fine in the snow, not all weel drive good.  The traction control algorithm was written buy someone who never had to drive up hill in the snow. Find out how to switch it off in the info center and be ready to turn it off. The resonator is no issue in the snow.

I feel as though all 2wd traction control systems suck. The only one that I've ever used that I actually leave on full time (unless I'm screwing around or stuck or something like that) is the Subaru system. It can independently control wheelspin on all 4 wheels. It works really well. You can't get a modern WRX out of shape at all with the VDC (what Subaru calls it) enabled.

3 hours ago, chong said:

I feel as though all 2wd traction control systems suck. The only one that I've ever used that I actually leave on full time (unless I'm screwing around or stuck or something like that) is the Subaru system. It can independently control wheelspin on all 4 wheels. It works really well. You can't get a modern WRX out of shape at all with the VDC (what Subaru calls it) enabled.

Not quite - Civic FD2 stability control is one of the best I've ever experienced, it's quick and almost impossible to run off the road dodging an animal, fishtailing or in a similar situation.

3 hours ago, Fifty150 said:

On my car, it's just a little push button in front of the shifter.  It says, "TCS OFF".  I guess with a base model, everything is simpler.

We have just found what the missing button placeholder is for (y)

I have one notch higher trim level (same radio but with Bluetooth and USB) and my TCS OFF is software based.