Ford Transit Connect Forum

Has anyone created a thread for installing a transmission oil pan drain?

Timbo

2010 XLT Cargo.

I did a few searches, including Google, but couldn't find a thread specifically about installing a drain plug on the TC pan.  

I could only find a few posts mentioned having done it or planning to do it in the future.  

I get that it's not rocket surgery, but it would be nice to see *exactly* where to drill the hole. 

It would also be helpful to find out what drain/plug people recommend.  

(Screw-in or weld on drain?)  

From the pictures I have been able to find, it looks like the drain is positioned under the transmission filter.  

Anyway.  If anyone knows of a thread that was created that covers this topic in detail, I'd love to see the link.  

Thanks!  

Edited by Timbo

I don't remember anyone actually installing a drain plug on the pan.  Most people want to drop the pan and change the filter, then flush the system.  

If you want to do it, I would drill the hole at the lowest part of the pan.  I think that the bolt on drain plug kit is easier, and you should not have any problems.  Of course, welding would be better, if you have the equipment to weld with.  

Good luck.  Keep us posted.  If you do it, post some photos.

Screenshot 2021-11-08 19.46.27.png

s-l640.jpg

14 hours ago, ecir51 said:

Dorman 265-879 came in a mazda that uses the same pan that already has a drain plug. cheap too!!!

Now that's the kind of answer I'm looking for!  Thanks for that!  It does appear to be the same part, and since I was going to buy a new pan to have welded anyway, I might as well just buy one that comes with the plug already installed.  

Many thanks!  

s-l500.jpg

fullsizeoutput_16d7.jpeg

• 2 years later...
On 11/9/2021 at 11:29 PM, ecir51 said:

Dorman 265-879 came in a mazda that uses the same pan that already has a drain plug. cheap too!!!

thats the one i have in my 2011. it works great. mine seems to hold 4 qts on a change. with this drain plug i just do a fluid change about every 25k and filter at 50k.  i buy the filter kit with 3rd hand gasket; makes it a breeze