Ford Transit Connect Forum

Maintenance Question

FTC Lover

I have a 2018 FTC XLT with 10,000 miles and have completed my first vehicle maintenance:

4 New Spark Plugs

New Air Filter

New Cabin Filter

New Oil & Filter change to Amsoil

New Transmission Fluid Change to Amsoil

New Coolant Fluid Change

Question:

4 quarts of trans fluid came out and I had to put 5 quarts of new trans fluid back in until the fluid started to spell out the level plug.

The old trans fluid was dark red, I'm shocked the fluid is not bright red because I have only 10,000 miles on the van.

I purchased new and don't have towing capability

21 hours ago, FTC Lover said:

Question:

The old trans fluid was dark red, I'm shocked the fluid is not bright red because I have only 10,000 miles on the van.

Mercon LV turns dark right away. It's normal for that fluid.

Also, the coolant is good for 6+ years. Today's longlife coolants are really durable.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/10/2020 at 9:12 PM, G B L said:

If you want to really clean the Trans you need to exchange the fluid 3 times  and that will get all the fluid.  I have done lots of towing with mine and the cooler on the trans holds the fluid temp fine.

Transit Connect  cargo run.png

3X drain and fill is the factory recommended service procedure. A single drain and fill is better than nothing. But I wouldn't do it. If my van is already raised on jackstands, and the skid plate is removed; there's no reason to only drain and fill once. Sure, you replace the fluid by 40% - 50%.  But you don't have fresh fluid. You're going to do 1/3 of the job, so that you can drive with 50% - 60% contaminated fluid?