Ford Transit Connect Forum

Large bit of metal in sump

duarab76

10 minutes ago, mrtn said:

Hmm, the inside does not seem like the crankshaft bearing. Or how it could get out of its seat.

Has this engine been worked on? Like a rebuild or anything major?

Not sure i have only had it 10 months, ride my luck and hope its from a previous repair? Did have a starting problem that now seems to be resolved but there was a good bit of easy start used, could this have mucked it up.

2 hours ago, duarab76 said:

Van runs fine 

1 hour ago, duarab76 said:

i have only had it 10 months

10 months, running fine.  I wouldn't worry about it. That could have been something overlooked from install at the factory. A piece of stray garbage that wasn't noticed.

Or you could stress out, and never really figure it out.

2 hours ago, duarab76 said:

Did have a starting problem that now seems to be resolved but there was a good bit of easy start used, could this have mucked it up.

Nope, definitely not. The only part this could come from is a piston but 45 mm diameter is just half of it.

Ok thanks for your replies, oil sump was rusted and leaking in a couple of places, van is a 2007 so this could maybe be the first replscement of the sump? Not sure on the life of them but it could have been there from new so wont worry about it. There was no sludge in the sump and only a couple of other lumps but they broke up when squashed was a bit like carbon.