Ford Transit Connect Forum

Auto Trans Issues Ever Corrected by Ford?

DrewSC

Hey I'm new to the TC world.....here in California we only have gas powered TCs with auto transmissions.  I've read a lot about how the TCs are prone to early transmission failure with the automatics.  Is this only certain years?  Did Ford ever correct or improve the issue?  Anything that can be done to correct the issue on a TC that has already had the transmission fail?  I'm looking at buying a TC with a bad transmission, I just don't want to buy it and invest into it if there is no solution to this problem.  Thanks for your help and advise!

Depends on the year. 2013 onwards (new shape) is good enough. The 6F35 transmission can be upgraded with stronger components during repair and if you change the fluid often enough it should be trouble free. Unlike Ford's description the transmission is not service-free with "lifetime fluid". It's regular Mercon LV (50K miles max).

First generation uses Focus engine/transmission and it's obviously too weak for the size of the car so you could expect more trouble but there have also been reports of very high mileage with original bits.

If you don't overload the van, and service the transmission, you can expect a reasonable service life.  Automatic transmissions don't last forever.  But no reason to expect less than 100,000 miles.  I have seen hundreds of thousands of miles.  

Only problem is with a used car, you can expect that the last owner did not change the ATF, and the van may have been overloaded.  

You hear about reported failure. You don't hear about vans that keep working, because those people rarely speak up to say, "it still runs".  

Some forum members are changing ATF at 30,000 miles.  FordTechMakULoco on YouTube, who a lot of people look to for advice, also recommends 30,000 miles for the 6F35 transmission.  My local dealership service advisor said 30,000 miles.  

Some owners will do it every 25,000 miles.  

The process is so easy, that you can drain & fill 4 liters with every oil change.  

There is conventional wisdom that you should only use Mercon LV.  Some forum members are using other fluid.  I'm sure that you will make the right choice for yourself.

3 hours ago, mrtn said:

flushed with Dexron VI

How did you choose Dexron VI?

I am using Valvoline, which was inexpensive at Wal-Mart. $18 per gallon. My next service will he with Mercon LV, because I got a 6 gallon box at a reasonable price. Mag1 and Phillips are available from my local distributor, but I think price is high.

I recall that someone was using Triax. I wonder how that is working.  

As with the automatic transmission in just about any vehicle, there are owners/drivers who can blow one up in relatively few miles because of the way they maintain them, the way they load their vehicle, possibly with what they tow with the vehicle and just the way they drive everyday . . . . and then there are people who plan from the start to make them last a long, long time and some of those get 250K to 500K without needing a new transmission.  It all depends . . . . 

When I was 20 years old, I had a 1958 Corvette for about 2 years and I managed to destroy 3 transmissions, two engines and at LEAST 8 or 10 differentials.  I also broke the welds where the spring perches were attached to the axle tubes and had to have those rewelded.  But, I was having fun and had no other place to put my money other than into that car  ?

Don

I have done mine at 25000 intervals.  Lv for the first , Valvoline for the second and Triax for the third change.  The first two looked to be in about the same  condition.  The fourth change will be this week I will up date the on the Triax condition. I will say the transmission shifts as well as ever.

Edited by G B L

58 minutes ago, G B L said:

I will up date on the Triax condition. I will say the transmission shifts as well as ever.

Looking forward to your update. Thanks for keeping us informed.  

If you are doing a drain & fill, you may want to swirl a magnet in the drained fluid.  Curious how much metal is in suspension in the fluid.  Since we can't drop the pan to clean the magnet inside, like on other transmission models.

8 hours ago, mrtn said:

Mine was flushed with Dexron VI, which is the same fluid as Mercon LV.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge. Now we know that Dexron low viscosity works also.

On 3/20/2020 at 8:19 PM, Fifty150 said:

Looking forward to your update

97350, The fourth transmission fluid change.  The fluid condition was much better then the previous drains. I refilled with Triax again so will up date in 25000 miles!  I have the same fluid in a Chev 3500 1ton with and Allison that takes Dextron VI, it seems to be holding up well there also.