Ford Transit Connect Forum

Anyone have a scanner or 2 way radio in the TC?

I put my old BC-895 on the shelf over my head. (Since I can't use it for trunking anymore, I filled it full of MilAir freqs.)
Yeah, I know, I can't see the display, but I usually don't need to.
I ran antenna and power up the LH post, with a switch mounted on the lower portion of the pillar, since the power is otherwise always on.

IMG_3004.thumb.JPG.c066bf0d4e060d3fc83226f5e147b4a5.JPG

That's two things that have always bothered me about my TC: the lack of appropriate power sources (other than the radio circuit) and the total lack of suitable mounting locations for radios.
But, you know, what else are ya gonna do?

I've always thought about putting a smaller/lower-profile radio right on top of the dash. But you might as well put a sign in your window, inviting someone to break in.

And I've considered mounting a scanner to the bottom of the overhead shelf, right in the middle. But this would block the dome/map lights.
So..............    ?

xIMG_5624.thumb.JPG.bbb7b9e06c275cf062cc946095dbc3be.JPG

Pic of inside antenna, through dirty windshield. NMO mount, with a small sheet of grounded tin underneath. (Another whip is on the fender.) Outlet is for GPS, or what-have-you.

> I really want to be able to see the display. 

Yeah, I know. That's the BIG disadvantage. But there's a lot of room up there! I make an effort to secure the radio(s), for safety.
An alternative, if you have 700 bucks or so laying around, is the Whistler TRX-2 with the removable remote head. And, if you can still find one, Uniden used to make a remote head that was compatible with a few of their models. But I don't think they would be recent models and, if not, they wouldn't do Phase 2 trunking.
Another option (which I have never tried) is something like the BC536, with wi-fi. Then you could prop your wi-fi-equipped tablet in the dashtop tray opening or, in a pinch, on top of the steering column. Actually, I have a BC536 that I've never used and, IIRC, the software for the wi-fi function is optional. But I think you can find it for free.
Good luck.

Edited by George_97220

David:
They make some slick stuff.

But the rigs we're talking about are pretty good size.

https://www.rigpix.com/bearcat/bc895xlt.htm
https://www.rigpix.com/whistler/trx2.htm

Hmm. But maybe their laptop mount would work? Is that what you meant?
https://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-VB-175-SW1
I like that!
And it looks like you can still use the front seat, for the most part.
AND, it's on Amazon, too!
Tnx.

G.

• 1 month later...

Good topic. I've been scratching my head over where and how to mount a two-way radio in my TC and the overhead shelf seems to be about the least objectionable spot. At least to keep most prying eyes away from it. Convenient? Not really, but I'm  a musician and often out late at night (and sometimes in somewhat sketchy areas) so 'not obvious' is a real issue. 

Thanks all!!

TC.jpg

The over head shelf hides it so well that you can't read the display.  You could replace the OEM radio with a single DIN unit, and mount your 2way radio under it.  I would just mount it in the middle of the dash on top of that piece which pulls off on top.  

• 3 weeks later...

What about an external antenna? No holes drilled. I was thinking glass mount not sure where to put it if I use the shelf.  I also would need to get power from the battery as the radio is dual band with max 50w when transmitting.