Ford Transit Connect Forum

My new (used) 2016 TC Cargo

Hi everyone- this is my first post showing my new (used) 2016 Transit Connect Cargo that I bought a few months ago with 26,000 miles on it. I haven't owned an American car since the 1970's and I have to say, this van feels tight, it's quiet, handles great and has really good power- very peppy and fun to drive! I'm getting about 27-28MPG on road trips. A job well done by Ford in design and build quality. I had a 2001 Isuzu Trooper for 18 years and this has so much more room and handles so much lighter. I'm using it for my Carbon Cleaning business and as an everyday driver. As you'll see in the photos, I'm also getting it ready for camping this fall. The bed platform in the back is removable so I can load my business machines or set it up for camping. I can't wait until autumn to try it out! Feel free to ask any questions about the stuff I've built inside. I still want to mount 2 more eye hooks in the front of the roof for my camping awnings to clip onto- I just have to take the time to pull the headliner down so I can bolt them on inside. I'm gonna tint the rear and sliding door side windows too and maybe a tint strip along the top of the windshield. As you can see, I've upgraded the stereo to a Kenwood double DIN unit with 2 USB inputs for Apple CarPlay off my iPhone and I use my iPad for navigation. The drivers door armrest has one screw holding it in but the passenger armrest simply slides down between the seats and it's base sits on the floor- it's rock solid. They were easy to make out of pine. I have a Thule box for the roof too for longer trips. The VanTech rails came with the van. 
My craftsmanship isn't as fancy as some I've seen on here, but it gets the job done 1f642.png:)

IMG_8420.JPG

IMG_8422.JPG

IMG_8429.JPG

IMG_8430.JPG

IMG_8431.JPG

IMG_8432.JPG

IMG_8434.JPG

IMG_8436.JPG

IMG_8437.JPG

IMG_8438.JPG

IMG_8439.JPG

IMG_8420.JPG

IMG_E8419.JPG

@Jsbrown44 - Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new van.

Thanks for sharing your van pics. Very nice!

You've added some interesting amenities to your van.

Fancy craftsmanship isn't as important as form and function. As long as it works for you is all that matters.

One mod you might want to consider is taping into the area behind the front seats under the deck or the footwell area for the passenger wagon version. You've got some decent storage under the platform that you can make use of. There have been several designs posted on the forum that you can replicate or use as a starting point to create your own custom design. I love having mine and am very glad to have made that addition. Below is one thread showing some mods.

Hey Windguy- thanks so much man! I had no idea there was room under there and I'm all about using every square inch of space as long as I'm not adding too much weight. I'm gonna get under there tomorrow and check it out. 

3 hours ago, Jsbrown44 said:

Hey Windguy- thanks so much man! I had no idea there was room under there and I'm all about using every square inch of space as long as I'm not adding too much weight. I'm gonna get under there tomorrow and check it out. 

That's cool. You'll have fun with that project. Your mind will be dreaming up endless opportunities.

First remove the step molding on both sides and peel back the mat.

I took the entire mat out and replaced with plywood and carpet.

I separated the foam lining that's spot glued to the mat and used that as a underlayment. Great for sound proofing.

I also used added separate sound proofing, two layers, but in hindsight it probably wasn't necessary in this area.

Some pics below to wet your appetite.

P1060384.JPG

P1060402.JPG

P1060584.JPG

• 1 month later...