Ford Transit Connect Forum

My air filter was torn - is my engine in trouble?

thomaslove

Hello folks. I purchased my TC second-hand two years ago and only recently decided to take a look at the air filter (I've not noticed any engine troubles but someone told me they should be changed every few years). As you can see from the comparison photo below, the filter was in a pretty horrific state. The filter has torn and the torn part had been partly sucked up into my intake hose. 

10fnzvt.jpg

I have no idea how long the filter has been torn or how long it has been sucking grime into my engine.

My questions are... Could this tear have compromised the engine in any way? Are there any steps I can take to check or to clean out grime? Would it be worth swapping out the intake hose?

Thanks for any help

your TC should run better and get better gas mileage now!  My guess is the old filter had so much resistance that it tore.  As for grime I would clean the intake as well as you can.  If there is a lot of grime way up it I would be somewhat concerned about engine wear.  If you have been driving in a not too dusty environment then probably not that much grit has gone thru the engine.  IMO the biggest issue would be worn piston rings which could cause oil burning and loss of compression.  It looks somewhat dark, is that from dirt?  I wouldn't swap out the intake hose but might remove it and throughly wash it if that is not too difficult.

37 minutes ago, PhotoAl said:

IMO the biggest issue would be worn piston rings which could cause oil burning and loss of compression. 

Thanks for the reply. Can I inspect the piston rings myself or is that something I should take to a mechanic?

38 minutes ago, PhotoAl said:

It looks somewhat dark, is that from dirt?

There is a lot of dirt but there is also a fine black powder that looks like soot.

Engines can be pretty durable.  Your's is still working.  If any harm was done, it's already done.  Can't worry about that now.  Look ahead.  Remove your Intake from the air box to the throttle body.  Clean everything as best as you can.  Also, clean the Mass Air Flow sensor.  

Image result for clean mass air flow sensor

Related imageImage result for clean throttle body

Re-Assemble with Tornado

Image result for tornado air intakeImage result for tornado air intake

11 hours ago, Fifty150 said:

Engines can be pretty durable.  Your's is still working.  If any harm was done, it's already done.  Can't worry about that now.  Look ahead.  Remove your Intake from the air box to the throttle body.  Clean everything as best as you can.  Also, clean the Mass Air Flow sensor.  

Brilliant! Thanks for the info. I will get onto this right away. The Tornado looks a bit pricey with some mixed reviews - does it make a noticeable difference?