Ford Transit Connect Forum

Aftermarket TPMS sensor problem

MegaZone

Hi Guys,

I need some advice here. I have a 2015 TC cargo van that I bought new and soon after bought some aftermarket Motegi wheels for. The tire shop swapped the Ford TPMS sesors on to the new wheels and everything was hunky dory. Last month I smacked a traffic island (don't ask) and wrecked all four wheels. The insurance company came through and bought me four new wheels and tires which arrived at my house, mounted, balanced and ready to put back on the van. THe new wheels have aftermarket TPMS sensors from a company called Smart and where suppossed to be programmed for my van. Of course once bolted on the TP warning came up on the dash and so I tried the "Relearn" proceedure from the owner's manual. Letting air out of he tires proceedure didn't work so I bought the little Ford TPMS retriggering tool and went through the whole sequence again, but it didn't work either. So my question is: What should I do next? Do I need to take it to the Ford dealer?

I would verify the proper program was installed in the Smart sensors. Check out their website. It has a lot of info. It looks like you need hardware and an account to update the Smart sensor programming.

I doubt a Ford dealer will troubleshoot the aftermarket sendors. You can buy am oem sensor and see if it is recognized during the re-learn process. This will tell you the ECU in the vehicle is working. Part no. 9L3Z-1A289A. Approx $55.

Dilemma is that you already have these new wheels & tires mounted & balanced with the Smart brand sensors.  They are already installed on your van, and you are driving on them, so getting them to work with the least amount of effort is the best solution.

Easy fix is to have a tire tech install the OEM sensors on your new wheels & tires.  Your dealership can do it also.  If you have the equipment, you can do it yourself.  

What I would do is contact the seller who shipped you the wheels & tires, contact http://www.31inc.com for support, and talk to your insurance adjuster.  Perhaps the insurance company can pay to have a tire shop program the sensors for your van, or install the OEM sensors onto your new wheels & tires.  Stress to the insurance adjuster that you've paid your premiums, you paid your deductible, and now they need to pay to restore your vehicle to a safe operating condition.  

Sounds like the first thing to check is the Tire and wheel company .  Sounds like they did not put in the correct sensor.  Any tech with a Tpms scanner can check the sensor and make sure that the it its a 315 Mhz sensor . If the wrong sensor was used the company should provide the correct one and pay for the swap at a good tire shop.