Ford Transit Connect Forum

2017 TC Titanium Impressions

I've had my '17 Transit Connect for about a year and have about 17,000 miles.  My overall impression is mostly positive with many TC shortcomings.  

PROS: The quality seems to be good so far.  It runs, drives and handles good for a vehicle this size.  It's reasonably comfortable, although the plushness of the European seats could be much better.  There are no rattles, squeaks or wind noise.  It's easy to parallel park.  The panoramic roof is a wonderful option.  The engine doesn't use a drop of oil.  

CONS: The fuel tank is too small and reduces the range per fill.  I almost get the impression the vehicle was designed for city driving and that interstate travel took a back seat.  The low beam headlights reach out maybe 40 feet only.  They light up well to the sides but distance is way too shallow. Maybe just a simple headlight aim adjustment is all that's needed. The high beams are unbelievably bright and work great.  The voice activated navigation couldn't be worse!  I absolutely HATE the pissing match that goes on between the TC's navigation and my Android phone when I try to charge it with the usb.  I'm sure all vehicles with navigation suffer the same safety bs, but there is no reason my passenger shouldn't be able to enter a navigation address while the vehicle is moving. They could have enabled this function if the passenger seat airbag sensor senses a passenger. The second row seats don't appear to be adjustable forward and backwards as the first and third row?   I wished that Ford had made the 2.5 with Ecoboost as the standard 2.5 just doesn't have enough power.  I generally have to disable cruise control when going up hills because if I don't the tach jumps from 2K to 5K when it downshifts two gears. The transmission is slow to engage when shifting from park to drive.  The proximity sensors on the front fenders just drives me crazy and I wished I could disable them.  

I agree, the 2.5 is marginal especially in a LWB Titanium with all the extra weight. But Ford apparently has decided to let Honda, Toyota and Chrysler have the mini van market. The 2.0L ecoboost would have been a nice option for the LWB wagons. But the 2.5 is simple and easy to maintain.

Modern vehicles typically run and drive without any problems. Most consumers seem to be more disappointed with the electronics and programming than the actual mechanical hardware. I think the next generation of car buyers will expect and demand access to the vehicle's configuration.

Here is a discussion on changing the configuration of the Sync3 module in a 2017+ Focus. It may work for the TC since they are built on the same platform. See item 17 and 18. Navigation while in motion has successfully be turned on in F150s, Fusions and now Focus. I don't have Sync 3.

http://www.focusrs.org/forum/30-focus-rs-electronics/103801-forscan-mods-changes-info.html

6 hours ago, Don Ridley said:

But Ford apparently has decided to let Honda, Toyota and Chrysler have the mini van market. The 2.0L ecoboost would have been a nice option for the LWB wagons. But the 2.5 is simple and easy to maintain.

Well, the S-MAX and Galaxy exist in Europe (both with 2.0 Ecoboost) but these are more like Executive minivans with regular rear doors, no sliders. I like S-MAX a lot but find no use for it.

Good review, ive had my ‘16 for 6 months and have only put 4,500 Miles on it (would have has less but my son’s car broke and he’s been driving my City car).  Totally agree about the 2.0 eco boost engine.  Not sure gas mileage would have been worse.  My neighborhood is hilly and if I don’t get some interstate driving in I’m below 20 mpg.  Even on the interstate I only get 25 maybe 26 on the interstate.

Just returned from Itally where I saw a few Transit Connects as well as a smaller Ford van.  My rental was a C Max Grand which I can only describe as a slightly bigger C Max with sliding rear side doors and two fold down seats in the back for a total of 7 seats.  In the middle row the center seat would fold and stow under the right seat which was nice when traveling.  It had a diesel which got about 40 mpg at 80mph which is the speed limit on the Autostrada.  Not much acceleration though.  Transmission was the automatic with a clutch instead of a torque converter.  Several of the places we went had steep narrow and twisty streets particularly Monaco.  It was a challenge to drive it so that the clutch wasn’t slipping too much.  I noticed other cars in stop and go driving moving a car length at a time rather than very slowly creaping.  I would prefer a 10 speed auto over that one.  An amusing part was it had the Ford MyKey which the rental agency had taken advantage of to set max speed at 140 kph which is 10 above the speed limit and not a problem usually.  However due to inaccuracy in the speedometer it was actually 135 kph which gave me no ability to speed up to get around the vehicle going just a bit slower.