Willygee

Long traffic lights is ok to shift into neutral?

Lots of posts on this subject but nothing in particular on the 6F35 transmission. I quite often slide the shifter in N at extended stops..idle smoother and easier on my left leg. In N is the pump working and  still pushing fluid through the cooler ?

My experience is in Motorcycles and Outboards.  But it is my understanding that the input shaft from the engine is rotating if the engine is.  So, it's still running the drive parts of the transmission.  Lubrication, etc. are fine at neutral in idle.

Thanks Mike..My TCgen2 seems happier in N at stops especially with the AC on..less buzzy. Without the AC on idle in D is quite smooth..nature of a 4cyl engine i guess.;)

4 cylinder engines with automatic transmissions have always had a nervous idle.   When you add the AC and electrical load the bumpy idle is quite apparent.  The only down side is the momentary embarrassment of hearing the engine rev with out any motion.  

You don’t need to shift the transmission to neutral at lights, it’s actually better for the transmission not to. The only possible scenario this is needed is when you have braked HARD and must not keep the brake pedal depressed to prevent disc warping.