Ford Transit Connect Forum

Help me decide, 2nd row Buckets or Bench?

I will be ordering a 2018 LWB Titanium Transit Connect Wagon.
It comes with Captain Chairs in the second row, but you can order a Bench seat as no cost option.
It's just the wife and I and sometimes another couple out to dinner, so people room is not important.
My main concern is when I want to fold all the seats for traveling and packing. I've seen on some older ones, even with buckets, the magnetic flaps cover everything and don't leave a hole in the middle. But, I thought I seen a picture of a 2017 that did have a hole in the middle with all the flaps down?
I'm wondering if I should get the Bench seat just to fill that hole when folded, if in fact there is a hole? Or some other way around it? 
Any help and thoughts are appreciated!
Thanks,
Tom

Unless you need 7 passenger seating, you might want to give the SWB version a look

I'm not sure about 2018 (I assume they're the same) but earlier versions come with a 60/40 split rear bench seat which is easily removable when you need to use it in 'cargo mode'.  The rear seats do fold and then 'tumble' vertically to rest against the backs of the front seats.  You can fold either the larger or smaller portion or take out either or both in just a few minutes  -  Very versatile.  The flat floor in the SWB models is lower than in the LWB models because the seats don't fold into the floor

Worth a look anyway, while you're shopping.  We remove either a portion of the rear seat or the whole thing every time we travel

Don

Edited by Beta Don

If you are ever going to use the far back seats, then the captains chairs allow easy access. My grandkids like to ride in the far back, but then I have to leave a middle seat down to get them in and out, unless they go through the back door with only one back seat up.

I had the SWB, loved it. Got the LWB for more capacity and traveling room. Lost some cargo height. We leave the 3rd row seats down most of time.

I tend to drive around with the 3 middle seats folded down, and the 2 third row seats up for passengers.  Kind of gives it that "Poor Man's Limo" feel, with the tinted windows and red LED interior lamps.  The phrase "Shaggin' Wagon" has been mentioned.  And in this configuration, There is a lot of space for loading groceries and a cooler full of beer between the third row & the cockpit.

With  all the seats folded in the LWB Version the area is completely flat with no gaps if you have the Bench Seat option. The Right side seat folds and slides forward for the Third seat access.  If a flat cargo area is important the Bench will be a good choice. I have the Third seat folded flat most of the time for the general clutter I carry, it provides a great wall to stop the forward migration of the stuff.  

• 1 month later...

I placed my order yesterday! I went with the 60/40 bench seat, thanks everyone for your input!

Other paid options..

• 2018 Transit Connect Titanium LWB Wagon - Race Red
  • Quickclear Electric Windshield Defroster
  • Trailer Tow Package
  • Blind Spot Information System
  • Forward and Reverse Sensing System
  • 17-inch Aluminum Wheels
  • Aircraft Style Mid-Vehicle Overhead Console
  • Upfitter Wiring Harness (Wish I knew what is included with this option?)
  • Remote Start with Perimeter Alarm

Now the wait! I have no idea when I might get it? I'm guessing 4-6 months!

• 1 month later...
On 11/10/2017 at 10:29 PM, G B L said:

Very Nice, Looks like you might have the TC before the North Korean thing gets out of hand!!

Yes, I have the ability to check daily on my order and follow any changes, I worked for and retired from FMC.