Ford Transit Connect Forum

2015 TC XLT. Kinda A Tent On Wheels...

• 3 months later...

I'm debating whether to take the seats out before converting it to a camper or doing like you did, with just the Weather Tec mat on top of the folded down seats.  One question:  when I fold my seats "flat" they're not really flat.  The first row of seats is 2 inches higher than the rear.  Is that the case with your TC?   Yours looks flat.

My 2015 LWB TC is dead flat with both second and third row folded. And I just have the weathertech mat now, although for the first 2 years I had the seats fully removed and a more solid plywood and rubber floor installed.

One potential cause of the seats staying 2" high may be not being fully latched in the lowered position. You should need to give it a little push down at the end to get it to latch, And there's a bit too much play in the mechanism as it is lowered so sometimes you need to move it slightly to get the latch to line up correctly. If you can lift the seat back up without pulling the handle, your seat latch didn't engage.

If you want to see the results with the seats removed you can check out the thread where I documented my project. It will get you an extra 6" of cargo height. If you have someone to help swap seats and plywood floor, it takes less than 30 minutes to do the swap and just takes 4 bolts per seat. It's a bit harder for me alone, but still doable. Wrangling a 4x7 foot sheet of plywood in and out is a bit of a challenge for one person.

• 5 weeks later...
On 5/4/2017 at 9:14 PM, Connie L said:

I'm debating whether to take the seats out before converting it to a camper or doing like you did, with just the Weather Tec mat on top of the folded down seats.  One question:  when I fold my seats "flat" they're not really flat.  The first row of seats is 2 inches higher than the rear.  Is that the case with your TC?   Yours looks flat.

Ford has a series of Utube helpful hints. One of which covers proper folding of the LWB Transit Connect seats. Found them last week and went through all the ones of use to me.