Ford Transit Connect Forum

New Member in MN

eyesofthejackal

Hey all - just wanted to introduce myself quick - just drove my new '14 Transit Connect XLT LWB home this afternoon - after spending a bit of time trolling here to confirm that I was making the right choice...

Downsizing from an '05 Chrysler T&C (that was pushed to 183,000 miles). 

Any nuggets of wisdom and/or stuff I need to know? Otherwise, thanks all - happy to be here, etc...

1 hour ago, eyesofthejackal said:

it's the 'family' vehicle 

Don't worry too much about it.  You've got kids.  They will tear it up for you.  Muddy shoes, soccer cleats, climbing over upholstery, spilling food and drink, haphazardly tossing gym bags, hockey sticks, and violin cases.  ScotchGard the seats if you want.  I would add some 12v USB outlets since everyone today is loaded with electronic devices.  A cell phone booster is great if you're taking the whole family out on long road trips.  I can't tell you how many times I've been on the open road and had poor reception or coverage, and thought that if I had a van full of kids and an emergency, it would be a bad situation.  Your factory head unit is probably enough to keep you happy as far as playing the radio & music, unless you're an audiophile.  With kids, I would recommend getting some decent floor mats.  Tint the windows.  Get the darkest tint that you are allowed in your state.  Vans heat up very easily, and are harder to cool down.  Auxiliary lighting could be beneficial if you plan on camping with this van.  Think about how you're going to carry 5 or more bicycles.  A lot of different opinions on holders and mounts for cell phones.  You will find something you like out there.  Take out the 3rd row of seats, and set up a mini-bar.  I keep it simple with a 12v cooler.  And on long road trips, I bring a  12V stove.  Sometimes it's just nice to be able to pull over after a few hours, and have your own food, as opposed to eating gas station hot dogs.  Some beef & veggies in the cooker, and you've got beef stew when it's ready.  

Make yourself stand out from the crowd.  Get a bunch of stickers.  Remove the blue ovals, and replace them with JDM  logos.

71iNl-nQ0bL._SL1200_.jpg

71rOY7zcB7L._SL1500_.jpg

71ChEA80IaL._SL1500_.jpg414ycesOtHL.jpg

Scotchgard Auto Fabric and Carpet Protector, 10-ounceMax Burton 6905 Digital 12 Volt Portable Lunch Box Stove to GoKIMG0045.JPGKIMG0046.JPG91HUdya38KL._SL1500_.jpg717p6OASH7L._SL1500_.jpgKIMG0044.JPG

Learn how the traction control works and read the manual to see how to be able to switch it off.  It will be an unpleasant surprise some slippery day .

If  your TC has the rear heater , the way it works best is by setting the front heater to the floor.  That  allows more heat to be available  to the rear heater intake . This will help the rear auxiliary heater.

2 minutes ago, G B L said:

Learn how the traction control works and read the manual to see how to be able to switch it off.  It will be an unpleasant surprise some slippery day .

Oh, btw, as it's winter here, snowing every day, I have had my share of traction control engaging already. With snow tires it's not bad at all. Everything works as in any other FWD car. I accelerated harder than usual yesterday and spun the front tires on bare (salt wet) pavement, the TRC engaged but didn't interfere with shifting or anything.

Regarding chargers, entertainment for kids in the car, depending on the age of the kids it's not too late to have them getting used to no tablet computers or cartoons in the car. A comic book and/or a couple of toys will do fine.