Timbo

How do I remove the console-mounted window switch?

I'm having an issue with my 2010 Transit Connect. Well two actually, if you count my not being able to find a shop manual for it! Why doesn't anyone make a good old-fashioned paper manual I can scribble notes in and dog-ear the pages??

Because I don't have a shop manual, I can't figure out how to remove the window switch that's located on the console between the front seats without breaking it. I don't want to force it, something I'm famous for, because I don't want to break anything. It looks like it should just pop out with a little "careful" prying.

I'm pretty sure it's the switch and not the regulator that's keeping the right window from going down, because if I can get the window to go down, it *always* comes back up. Also, if I punch the switch a few times, it tends to help, suggesting it's the switch, or the connector plug, that's the problem and not the regulator.

A quick Google Image search reveals small tabs holding the switch in place. Can I simply pry the switch out from above, or do I need to remove the console to access the tabs?

Hello Timbo. DO NOT PRY THE SWITCH OUT FROM ABOVE. As per the 2010 Ford Transit Connect workshop manual, you will need to remove the rear consol first, then release the four tabs holding in the switches and remove them from the inside of the console.

Thanks for confirming my suspicion that the console needs to be removed.

btw... The link to the Connect workshop manual tried very hard to give my laptop a virus.

If you don't mind it being for the English version, Haynes makes a very good manual.

Timbo, was it the switch?  I have the exact same problem with my 2010 TC.  Now it takes several pushes before the windo goes down, I usually give up before it works.

Oops, been gone a while.  Yes, it was the switch.  

Instead of replacing it, and this is going to sound crazy, I took it completely apart and soaked / scrubbed everything in hot, soapy water.  

Hey, it worked!  

$55 replacement on Ebay.  but i fully dissambled and soaked mine in "tuner cleaner".  worked a while.  2nd attempt and closer look revealled poor design. Switching contacts simply wear oxidize and wear down.  used wire brush, and gently bent toggle mechanism downward a tiny bit. Been working AOK for months.  good luck.

On 10/15/2015 at 7:08 PM, johnsonmy said:

If you don't mind it being for the English version, Haynes makes a very good manual.

I wonder if the Haynes Manual for the 2014+ is available yet.

Wow!  $70.  That is expensive.  I think the last time that I bought a Haynes manual, it was $14.95.  I read it under the blankets, with a flashlight, like a nudie magazine.  

Well you get what you pay for even with the under the blanket magazines!!

I don't know what angers the girlfriend more.  The fact that I'm reading with a flashlight in the dark.  Or the fact that I'm under there with an auto repair manual, and I find it more interesting than what she's wearing.