Ford Transit Connect Forum

How is your actual Gas Mileage doing?

jdjonesiii

I have had my TC for about 2000 miles so far and am getting 23-24 MPG around town and on a trip got 22 while driving 70-75 on the interstate. I removed the stock wheels and purchased some MOMO wheels form Discount Tire and it make a nice difference in the ride. I run factory suggested air pressure of 36 psi in the front and 49 psi in the rear. When I changed wheels and went to the factory suggested air pressure my mileage went up about 2-3 MPG. I noticed no different in the ride. I was concerned that it would be harsher with the higher air pressure. MAG type wheels are always better than any steel wheel. The don't flex as much and feel more solid. Sirus as been added to the stock radio system and I am basically satisfied with that. Easy enough to do. The next upgrade is Fords accessory - remote start .... the two way one that tells you the engine started (see Ford Accessories). Also the carrier bars are on order (Ford Accessory) for the top. Never know when you may have to hall a ladder or something on top.

John Jones

Stone Mountain, Ga.

Mine is the XLT and I use it for service. I guess we have about 500-600 lbs of tools and equipment in it. With 1,200 miles on it we are averaging between 23-25 mpg in town with some short highway runs. No complaints to date.

John,

Just passed the 10K mark, and mileage is pretty consistent around 21/24 for the most part. On a 600 mile round trip recently, with the wind and at 75/78, it was over just under 27, coming back, against a stiff headwind and pushing it a little harder, went down to 19/20.

Keeping the cruise set at 70 it does 25 on the road with no problems, All figures are with the AC running. It does go up with it off (it's been a little cooler lately), but I've not taken any measurements with no AC.

I'm QUITE happy with the mileage, it's paying for itself in mileage allowances.

Roland C

Happily Transiting shift.gif

Loaded to about 4700 lbs, with a 7" and 28" ladder on the roof and snow tires, I'm getting approx. 18 mpg in combined driving conditions. Not a whole lot better than my Jeep Cherokee, but I'm hauling a lot more weight plus the ladders. Overall I'm satisfied with the mileage.

P.S. for Admin: the posting issue is happening again - if I click SUBMIT I end up back on the home page with the post not coming through.

• 1 month later...

Just filled up and if my math is right, 305 miles by 11.675 gallons = 26.12419700214133. That's with my Shelving,. tools, and materials loaded in. The was mostly freeway but in town averaging 55 mph. I was a bit surprised.

I just returned from trip between Pittsburgh to Philly and return. I traveled at legal speed limits and mostly four lane limited access highway. My TC has just over 3000 miles on the odo and was lightly loaded.

28 MPG going East and 26 MPG going West.

• 4 months later...

The sales rep told me I should expect lower than EPA rated fuel efficiency during the break-in period, so I'm not disappointed to see 19.75mpg over the first @ 600 miles. This should improve quickly after 1,000 miles and more so after 3,000.

My previous vehicle was a '96 Dodge Caravan. Rated 19/22, but at 50 mph on the freeway, I could get 39.5.

The TC is rated 22/25, so I'm going to guess I can get 40 mpg at 50 mph.

I'll be installing a ScanGauge in the next week or two, and modifying my driving habits accordingly. I already know about the basic hypermiling techniques (e.g. "driving without brakes" to coast to stop signs etc.) so it's going to be interesting to see how they affect the actual readings.

Now here's something odd & funny: During the break-in period, I was advised to vary my driving speeds, so all the mechanical parts would wear properly. I've become used to maintaining steady speeds for efficiency, so this was like "having to learn to be an inefficient driver":-) After a couple thousand miles of this, I'm going to have to retrain myself again, heh.

QUESTION: How many miles are y'all being advised to drive for break-in before you should start using the cruise control? (Yes, understood that an engine throttle control would be more efficient than a speed control, but the latter is fine on flat ground such as the territory I typically cover.)

I have 23K on my T/C and average 25 MPG. Not always practical to vary speed for the first 1,000 miles, but I tried. I would stay off the cruise control for that break-in period. I would also reccomend not using the RESUME setting on the cruise control. It can race the rpm's up almost to the red zone.

My mileage is fluctuating quite a bit. I guess the varying loads and routes/conditions cause that, IDK. I've gotten 25.5 to 26.2 a couple of times. Usually it's in the upper 22's to lower 24's. Have 4063 miles on it now. Monday will be 4 weeks of operation.

My ScanGauge came in yesterday, so I hooked it up, filled the tank, and did the initial calibration (full tank; haven't done the 1/4 tank calibration yet).

Initial results:

City driving, watching for accelerations & stops: 25 - 27.

Freeway at 50 mph: 37 - 38. That's a "3" in the tens column.

Hot damn!

This is with < 1,000 miles on, so it's going to go up as the parts wear in.

What I'm looking to do is compile a chart showing freeway mpg at each increment from 45 to 75 mph.

On the stretch of freeway I used for the test (980 in Oakland) there wasn't enough distance to test at increments of 5mph up to 70, but the next long distance run I have, I'll do that.

I "cheated" and used cruise control to keep 50 mph for the couple of miles I was running the freeway test. I can't believe it'll hurt anything to use CC for very brief periods like that before break-in is complete. I tend to think that inefficient freeway driving is largely the result of incremental speed creep with foot on gas pedal, so being able to set a constant speed should eliminate that problem.

• 1 month later...