Ford Transit Connect Forum

Big Brother - Auto Manufacturers

OLDSCHOOLFOOL

Not even a fan of the "black box" data recorder. Good fodder for insurance companies looking for any misteaks you made.

Discussed disconnecting that in my GM machine, and was told that would also disable the airbags ... a "do it our way or die" kinda thing I guess.

And god help you if you have a "smart speaker" or such at home. Their mics are ALWAYS  ON, to hear-record-and pass on any & every thing !!

My opinion: If a company is going to make money with MY personal info, then they should pay me for that priveledge !!

Edited by Gideon
added details

2 hours ago, Gideon said:

BTW: If any of you use 'Wase' [gps app, if I didn't spell correctly], I hope you read the fine print in the 'user agreement' to see exactly what you allow the app (ie:company) to do with/to  your info.

Waze

Personally, I don't use any GPS seeing as how I know how to read a map and find my way. My phone gets turned OFF when I drive anywhere not so much to avoid tracking but I just don't need the distraction of it going off. No tracking is just a bonus.

Map [with/without calibrated Compass] = "original GPS".

Even with yearly updates, my Garmin GPS still gives false directions when I drive to my favorite campground  [gone there the past 15+ yrs].  While good maps ARE best (my opinion), I do like the extra help of GPS for travel to/in unfamiliar or construction areas, and for time estimates.  As the 'Owners Manual' says: electronics are NOT a substitute for driver resposibility & attentiveness !

As for my cell phone, its on but in sleep mode and all my family know I will not answer calls when driving !!

Edited by Gideon
added details

My favorite is when the GPS gets annoyed when I fail to follow the suggest path. Takes forever to re-calibrate to a new route, and in the meantime, it's giving me a "turn here!" for the next mile or so, which can get kinda old in the city ...

** Might be my radio too - not even sure what GPS software it uses, but I do know they misspelled GPS in the manual. Didn't inspire a lot of confidence, eh. <G>

• 1 year later...

BTW, isn't this why drivers have a "significant other" in the front passenger seat ?   Can never forget when mt brother bought a new car, long ago, salesman made a point telling him the cruise control will give a warning if you drove faster than set speed. My brother's answer, "That's what I have a wife for" !