Ford Transit Connect Forum

19 connect roof spoiler

@eliminatethis - Thanks for sharing. Nice work on the sound proofing. Removing all the headliners must have been a chore.

I did the ceiling on my cargo van up to the rib in the cab area, not removing the headliner. Didn't want to open a can of worms.

If you haven't put the headliner back yet, you might want to consider adding a recommended second layer of protection, which is what I did.

It's a lot easier to install than the butyl mat material that has to be rolled out. Tough work working overhead, isn't?

The material I used as a second layer was from Noico and is 150mil, black color, came on a roll.

Looks like the link below but this shows a different company, Siless. They may be the same company with different badges.

https://www.amazon.com/Sound-Deadening-Foam-157mil-Insulation/dp/B07B75PD8B/ref=sr_1_42?crid=3OQXKFFTG8C8C&keywords=noico+sound+deadening&qid=1576688792&s=electronics&sprefix=noico+%2Celectronics%2C413&sr=1-42

The best I can tell, the Noico product now comes in precut pieces, so something has changed.

https://noico.info/products/noico-red-170-mil-36-sqft-car-waterproof-sound-insulation/

8 hours ago, windguy said:

@eliminatethis - Thanks for sharing. Nice work on the sound proofing. Removing all the headliners must have been a chore.

I did the ceiling on my cargo van up to the rib in the cab area, not removing the headliner. Didn't want to open a can of worms.

If you haven't put the headliner back yet, you might want to consider adding a recommended second layer of protection, which is what I did.

It's a lot easier to install than the butyl mat material that has to be rolled out. Tough work working overhead, isn't?

The material I used as a second layer was from Noico and is 150mil, black color, came on a roll.

Looks like the link below but this shows a different company, Siless. They may be the same company with different badges.

https://www.amazon.com/Sound-Deadening-Foam-157mil-Insulation/dp/B07B75PD8B/ref=sr_1_42?crid=3OQXKFFTG8C8C&keywords=noico+sound+deadening&qid=1576688792&s=electronics&sprefix=noico+%2Celectronics%2C413&sr=1-42

The best I can tell, the Noico product now comes in precut pieces, so something has changed.

https://noico.info/products/noico-red-170-mil-36-sqft-car-waterproof-sound-insulation/

Thanks. I did two layers, the new product is so much better than the butyl.

2lays2.jpg

@eliminatethis - that material looks just like the butyl mat material I used. Needs to be rolled out. Maybe they have different materials out now.

What I meant by two layers is first layer of the 5-10mil silver type mat material that needs to be rolled out with a second layer over that of the 150mil foam padding to provide extra sound proofing and thermal insulation. A two layer approach that was recommended by Noico and Roadkill. Of course they want you to buy more product but it made sense to me to take the extra step.

1 hour ago, windguy said:

@eliminatethis - that material looks just like the butyl mat material I used. Needs to be rolled out. Maybe they have different materials out now.

What I meant by two layers is first layer of the 5-10mil silver type mat material that needs to be rolled out with a second layer over that of the 150mil foam padding to provide extra sound proofing and thermal insulation. A two layer approach that was recommended by Noico and Roadkill. Of course they want you to buy more product but it made sense to me to take the extra step.

My primary goal was heat reduction as I live in Florida. A added feature was the roof now is so quit I no longer hear rain on the roof. If you thump on the roof it sounds like concrete. I could have not asked for more and the price was so  cost effective!