Ford Transit Connect Forum

New Here! Owner satisfaction and reliability of 2014-17 model year TCs

Private garage, even if you know and trust the mechanic, may not have access to all of the service bulletins, recalls, have the most current training for that make & model, probably won't have vehicle specific computer diagnostic equipment, and most likely does not specialize in the car you want inspected.  

On the other hand, you don't know or trust the people at the dealership. 

1 hour ago, drh14 said:

If you were looking to buy a used one from a private party seller, would you take it to a Ford Dealership for pre-purchase inspection or a local shop that you know and trust? Because I may be doing this, I'm wondering what's best. Unfortunately, I'm probably not going to be able to go to a shop that I'm familiar with (because the van is not local) but I may be able to get recommendations.... not sure. What do you think?

If you are looking at a TC  that is still in the 3 -36000 or the 5-60000 Power train warranty then a Car Fax would help.  You can go on line and check to see what the service recalls for the Year TC are and The carfax will tell you if they are done.  I always want to see the car up on a lift because the underside will tell you lots about the abuse that the TC has had. A good honest independent with a scanner can do a good inspection .