Ford Transit Connect Forum

Key missing for cargo rack Transit Connect

ron

Sorry I didn't know how to add information to the photo. This is a 2016 Ford Transit Connect. On the side of the racquet says Ford however when I called the dealership they said they could not locate a key for this type of rack..  I was told although it says Ford on the side it's most likely an after-market rack and I would need to contact a dealer I have not found any other information on the rack. Anyone know where I can get a replacement key if they are all Universal if they're not then I'm very frustrated.  I bought this used from a dealer didn't even consider asking about the key but there is no key so the rack is not in a place that I would like it I would like to haul kayaks. I need the rear one slid further back.  Thanks everyone for your help. Ron 817 403 7893

Don may be correct.  Here is a link that looks like your rack.

https://www.thule.com/en-us/us/roof-rack/roof-racks/thule-crossroads-_-4505x

And there is a lock kit for it.

https://www.thule.com/en-us/us/roof-rack/roof-rack-components-and-accessories/thule-2-pack-lock-cylinder-512-_-1028

A competent locksmith can probably pick the lock and get it off the van, where you can substitute some new ones.  Good luck and let us know how you resolve the issue.  

Your photo looks like the Ford Accessory bars I got for my TC when I bought it. IIRC, the locks were an optional part of the install and I had to pop out some covers on the end pieces to install them. So the good news is that even if you choose to force the locks, the actual part that tightens the racks in place would remain intact. The tightening is actually done by a bolt in the foot area and the end piece with the lock is basically nothing more than the T-handled end of a long square key that slides through the middle of the bolt shaft to tighten it.

The lock is a simple quarter turn pot  metal cam that keeps the end cap from pulling out. Once you get the lock turned, with a key or by breaking it, the end cap slides out slightly (or all the way if you want) and you can then spin the square shaft to tighten or loosen the foot. Worst case scenario you could even hacksaw off the entire end piece and still use a wrench on the remaining piece of square stock to operate the tighening mechanism. Now if you're really lucky, your lock has the numbers N165 on it which matches my key set and I can make you some copies and send them to you. But that's a long shot. 

Here's some photos of my cross bar end showing the mechanism on the end. If you need more detail or pix of how the bar fits the foot bolt just let me know and I can take more. But this should give some idea of what's inside that you need to get around.

20181009_235015 (Large).jpg

20181009_235040 (Large).jpg

20181009_235053 (Large).jpg

20181009_235116 (Large).jpg

20181009_235148 (Large).jpg

20181009_235222 (Large).jpg

BTW, here's the Ford Accessories link for these crossbars.

https://accessories.ford.com/catalog/product/view/id/10799/s/kit-lugg-crossbar-univ-lockable/category/3020/

And I can't be sure, but I think these are the Thule lock cylinders that could be used to replace broken ones if you choose to force the locks and break them. They look the same, but I'm not sure how universal the fit may be.

https://www.thule.com/en-us/us/roof-rack/roof-rack-components-and-accessories/thule-4-pack-lock-cylinder-544-_-1037

Edited by DonShockley