Ford Transit Connect Forum

3rd row - 2 seats only?

BillTheCat

If you are willing to fabricate your own bench seat, and you have 3 very skinny passengers, then yes.  You can even go so far as to fabricate your own seat belts.  But as far as being able to purchase a ready made bench seat, or 3 separate mini-seats, with seat belts, then no.  

Thanks for the quick replies.

Fabrication is out since I was hoping for something to just pop in. The passengers are kids so roominess is not such a concern.

Just curious, why is the 3rd row 2 seats only? Is it just too narrow? Ideally I'd like to just purchase a 2nd row and install it as the 3rd. Sorry for all the newbie questions, thanks!

16 minutes ago, BillTheCat said:

...why is the 3rd row 2 seats only? Is it just too narrow? Ideally I'd like to just purchase a 2nd row and install it as the 3rd. Sorry for all the newbie questions, thanks!

Narrower clearance between the rear wheel wells is the primary reason. Also, the third row is flat mounted while the second row mounts to the recessed area with the rear edge supported on the higher portion where the 3rd row seats mount. Even if the 2nd row fit between the wheel wells, the brackets on the second row wouldn't have any support right where all the weight is when in the raised position.