Ford Transit Connect Forum

Door Locks

I was installing a backup camera today in my 2017 LWB Van and  I was running the wires behind the dash and took out the radio to fish the wires behind. Decided to call it a day and was going to leave a few tools inside. Problem was I couldn't lock the doors as I had disconnected the battery. Am I missing something or is this a new trend in vehicles to save a few pennies?  Never had this problem with any vehicle I ever owned. Just another little nagging thing besides the lights on everytime I open the doors.

This is pretty much the standard on most newer cars .  You still have a key slot on the front door handles, but it's just an electric switch . . . . you still need the battery to lock and unlock anything.  I believe it's also part of the anti-theft system too.  If you don't have a key programmed to the car, the doors wouldn't unlock even with a key

Don

6 hours ago, JoeMan said:

I was installing a backup camera today in my 2017 LWB Van and  I was running the wires behind the dash and took out the radio to fish the wires behind. Decided to call it a day and was going to leave a few tools inside. Problem was I couldn't lock the doors as I had disconnected the battery. Am I missing something or is this a new trend in vehicles to save a few pennies?  Never had this problem with any vehicle I ever owned. Just another little nagging thing besides the lights on everytime I open the doors.

Lack of a physical lock button/switch on the inside of the doors is a REALLY stupid decision on Ford's part but there's a real pain in the ass work-around for it. Every door, on the edge of the door where it shuts into the jamb opposite the hinges, has a lock cylinder that fits the key. So you have to open each door, manually rotate the lock cylinder with the key, then shut each door.

However, there may be a decently large gotcha. The wording in the manual where it talks about this sucks. I think the manual is saying that, if you restore electrical power, the power actuators are now disconnected from the mechanical portion of the lock. That means you'll have to open the driver's side door with the key (since it's the only one with a lock cylinder on the outside), then crawl through the car opening each door from the inside (remember that the sliding doors and rear barn doors will require TWO pulls before they open), then flip the lock cylinder in the door edge back the other way to "reconnect" the mechanical portion of the lock to the electrical portion of the lock. I'm not sure that's what the manual is trying to say though.

I need to go test this on my van before the day I have to do it, come to think of it.

Thanks, did not read the manual about the locks. I didn't know it was an issue till packing up for the day. I'll give it look as this won't be the last time the battery will be disconnected as I'll be do some more wiring in the back in the near future.

The manual lock feature is good to know about.  There is a memory saver that can be plugged  into a power socket that will not have enough power to spark any thing but will provide enough to maintain the computer memory settings.  

• 4 months later...
  • 4 years later...

The manual lock feature is a good one and i prefer to install such locks that has such features of manual and automatic locking. In case if the power is lost then you can manually unlock the door. Contact any locksmith in your location to know more about these door locks.