Ford Transit Connect Forum

Traded 2014 SWB for 2017 LWB

Much as I liked my SWB XLT, we decided we wanted the LWB and finally found one 2.5 hours away with most of the features we wanted. Had to be barn doors. Other than the length, only thing we gained were the newer standard XLT features, heated outside mirrors, power driver's seat, rear parking assist. Had non listed roof rails. Only added options were flex fuel and sync. Lost towing package and SiriusXM from previous SWB. So now I have review the towing package threads before ordering a hitch and wiring harness. Also lost about 5-6" of load height but gained the extra seats to keep the grandkids apart ;)

Just searched and found the roof rails are standard now on the XLT wagons. The cross bars are a $195 factory option. When I checked, Ford accessory store has them at $495 or so. The Sync was also standard with the XLT.  Is Flex Fuel now standard?

17 hours ago, Beta Don said:

So . . . . a $200 factory option costs $500 if you buy it later from the dealer?  I suppose this makes sense to someone, somewhere, but really???

Don

With the 2014, the roof rails and crossbars were an option costing about $400 but to buy that separate cost $1000! And you have to pull down the  headliner to install the rails. Spent an hour or so yesterday going over Rack sites. I can save about $50 buying the Ford bars from a mopar site or save $30 and get the aero Thule bars vice the round stock ones. Still, in the $500 range. Think I'll wait a while on the bars. I do have a hitchhauler once I put the Hitch on. Just waiting on some paperwork so I can title the TC in my state before I add it.

Edited by Boomerweps

• 2 weeks later...

Got the paperwork finally and trying to schedule some notary time.

Huge bonus with two grandkids and three row seating. We have the passenger side 2nd row seat folded down and the third row up. Vice versa on the driver's side. So one kid has to sit on the driver's side 2nd row and the other passenger side third row. Works GREAT to keep them from bugging each other (brother 10 & sister 6). Only thing now, they fight over who gets to ride in the far back ;)

Yup, 22 days to get the paperwork. Notary here says should have taken about a week, worse case 10 days from that state with their systems. Appointments made with notary for titling and registration and a mechanic for state inspection. If he finds something wrong, corporate Ford will be made aware of my customer dis-satisfaction.

Now on a hour drive to our oldest daughters place, find out the AC does not work. Max AC to the feet, should have had freezing legs in five minutes or less, outside temp 75F. Could not tell if the air out the dash vents was any colder than opening the windows. I have a 2 hour interstate drive to the dealers to get them to fix it because it's a delivery problem. What ever happened to Job One? And the dealer mega point inspection? Too busy a personal schedule this week, have to schedule the dealer visit for next week and take a day off to do it ;(

Edited by Boomerweps

I feel MUCH better now!

Got the TC titled and registered in PA, wife's DP plate mounted. Feels like it's my vehicle now. Notary pointed out the OH title issue date was 20 May. Bought on 8 May.

Installed the four net mount buttons (eBay China, like $3 shipped) in the back to help keep things in with the doors open. Had the net from other vehicles. Installed a few other personal touches. A new white Vets Honor Guard sticker on the rear door panel, a new silver U. S. Navy Retired sticker across the rear window tops, and a new license plate surround that states "I spent the Cold War underwater, Silent Service" . The latter two items were eBay bargains. You can get the Retired sticker in many sizes and colors. I figured 1.5"x18" worked best on the windows and got it in silver to match my silver wind fins on the roof (other call them roof rack rails) of my black TC.

Set up an appointment to have the AC checked next Tuesday. Salesman tried to tell me how to properly operate the AC when using Max AC mode :) I guess three years experience on a 2014 TC that I traded in does not count. Going to wait on the Hitch receiver and wiring install till after the dealer visit. My sincere hope is that I won't have to make that 2 hour drive again after the AC appointment. 

Yah, I had the same problem with the Illinois dealer that I purchased the 2012 from.  It too was a two hour drive.  We finally got it all worked out.  It just seems to be the way things are today.  Best of luck with the LWB Boomerweps! :)