Ford Transit Connect Forum

Make the center console compartment useful

Don Ridley

The Gen 2 TCs have a center console compartment that is not very functional. It is deep and tapers at the bottom. To make things worse there are audio and USB jacks at the bottom. Anything you put in there sinks to the bottom never to be seen again. Here is a simple modification to make this space useful.

33609648366_00ffa71a59_n.jpg

Here it is....useless for storing a pocket knife, pens, garage openers etc..

I cut some closed cell foam floor exercise mat to create a shelf and a false bottom.

33649970145_4cebcfbc8e_n.jpg

33520896441_55d1c0a7d2_n.jpg

I set the height to allow space for the USB cable. I used long thin screws to attach the standoff piece. Cutting a bevel in the front was challenging, but the material is cheap so keep trying until you get it right.

33493646012_46bbc59f32_n.jpg

Look at all that useful space! I punched the holes using various sizes of copper pipe (any other thin wall cylinder will work...just hammer it on a block of wood).

Mine's even less useful as it's a 3seater and the compartment is under the seat and I usually have the center seat back folded down for a desk-armrest. So accessing the compartment means two moves. Luckily there's an aux 12V on the dash top tray and audio goes through BT.

While I see your point, my problem would be access to the USB and input jack. I do not know why they don't install those on the radio face for easy accessibility. The flashlight and pen slots are inspired.

So, you are using a USB extension cable in there?

Just  got my first ever eBay UK purchase in the mail. Two 6' 3.5mm audio cables with right angle plugs on both ends. For use in my two Fords with the audio jacks in the bottom of the consoles! Just went to unlimited data on my cell phone so now I can play my utube shows and music in the vehicle.

Boomer,

I am using a wireless ( inductive) phone charger. I used a small plastic plate and embedded the charger in closed cell foam on the plate. It resets on top of the trapaziod tray on the console and is secured by wedging foam in the same shape. It works ok because I don't have an aftermarket case on my phone. I can post another thread if you are interested. The only downside (some would say it is positive for safety), is I can't read the phone while driving.

One of the reasons I got the 6' right angle plug cords was to connect with my phone while in a phone holder that will mount to my visor. I already have a suction cup mount one but wanted a mount up high to easily see in the Connect. Now I need to get a longer USB to lightning cord.

You don't need to mess with the 3.5 mm cables. Get a cheap Bluetooth audio/handsfree adapter, plug it in the AUX port and you'll have wireless music and other audio in the car.

I bought three of these, use them everywhere I used to need cables: https://www.amazon.com/AUKEY-Bluetooth-Receiver-Adapter-Hands-free/dp/B00O8FYUJA

Edited by mrtn
broken link

• 5 weeks later...

I have this.  I may end up 3D printing a gizmo to create the false bottom and shield the USB stick from bashing.  For now I'm just not puttng the usual gear in there. 

The compartment is disappointingly small.  That's one feature I am missing of my Suzuki XL-7. There were three large-ish compartment spaces in the center console.