Ford Transit Connect Forum

Other OEM Radios?

zepper

So I am reading that just about everybody has swapped out their stock radio and upgraded to some aftermarket sweetness.

Has anybody swapped out their junky transit radio to a different ford oem radio from another model?

I only ask for two reasons:

1) I live in the hood of Oakland and my transit lives on the street. Now I've been parking my F150 on the street for years and have never had a break in (knock on wood) but I've always had the OEM radio. I'm affraid the tempation of something aftermarket would cause that window to be broken even if its a cheap $150 radio. Speakers can be upgraded and hidden but not the radio.

2) Now my F150 was a 2004 model, first year of the new body style, and the stock system was the Audiophile system with sub. Not the best system in the world but just fine for my needs. The problem was the 2005 F150 was the first year the radio worked with MP3s. So I swaped out my 2004 radio with a 2005 which may have come from an F150 or a Mustang or another model as they all fit.

So I guess what I am wondering is has anyone tried a radio unit from a model with a better standard audio system like a mustang or an F150 or something??

Do the stock radios have any weird EURO connectors or anything?

Thanks!

Edited by zepper

• 9 months later...

So I am reading that just about everybody has swapped out their stock radio and upgraded to some aftermarket sweetness.

Has anybody swapped out their junky transit radio to a different ford oem radio from another model?

I only ask for two reasons:

1) I live in the hood of Oakland and my transit lives on the street. Now I've been parking my F150 on the street for years and have never had a break in (knock on wood) but I've always had the OEM radio. I'm affraid the tempation of something aftermarket would cause that window to be broken even if its a cheap $150 radio. Speakers can be upgraded and hidden but not the radio.

2) Now my F150 was a 2004 model, first year of the new body style, and the stock system was the Audiophile system with sub. Not the best system in the world but just fine for my needs. The problem was the 2005 F150 was the first year the radio worked with MP3s. So I swaped out my 2004 radio with a 2005 which may have come from an F150 or a Mustang or another model as they all fit.

So I guess what I am wondering is has anyone tried a radio unit from a model with a better standard audio system like a mustang or an F150 or something??

Do the stock radios have any weird EURO connectors or anything?

Thanks!

Hmmmm, great question Zepper. I have the same desire to upgrade, and same theft concerns, and thus wanting to keep the unit looking stock and less desirable. Didn't think of swapping with a Mustang or other Ford unit. From the interaction I've had with the dealership here in Reno (terrible), I am assuming that this compatibility question would be even more daunting to them. Seems like it would be a "trial and error" process. Would be great if we could find a auto wrecking yard that would allow returning a unit until we got one that worked. I'd even be willing to pay a reasonable "restocking" fee in the end, regardless of success or not.

What do you think? Have you scoped out any of the other Ford units?

Even though I eventually put an aftermarket headunit in my TC I don't think the stock 6000Cd is a bad radio. And it does have an aux input for your MP3 player.

The stock speakers are a different story. I replaced the door speakers with some Alpines and it made a big difference.

I'm not sure you could find anything that is the same "form factor" as this head unit, in the United States. I'm not familiar enough with the European Fords to know with certainty, but my guess would be the only OEM upgrade would be something from a different Euro Ford. It would be cheaper and easier to simply replace the stock head unit with an aftermarket one. As I said in the other thread, there are many that come with built-in or add-on Bluetooth, and can control your iPod/iPhone from the head unit, many also have an interface to allow you to plug in an adapter that allows you to keep use of the steering wheel radio controls... with the added benefit that it will have a much better internal amplifier, better display, and so on.

Oh, and with regard to concerns about theft, there are some that have those options and stil retain a pretty plain appearance that doesn't scream "steal me" like the higher-end stuff.

Edited by azdamay

I'm not sure you could find anything that is the same "form factor" as this head unit, in the United States. I'm not familiar enough with the European Fords to know with certainty, but my guess would be the only OEM upgrade would be something from a different Euro Ford. It would be cheaper and easier to simply replace the stock head unit with an aftermarket one. As I said in the other thread, there are many that come with built-in or add-on Bluetooth, and can control your iPod/iPhone from the head unit, many also have an interface to allow you to plug in an adapter that allows you to keep use of the steering wheel radio controls... with the added benefit that it will have a much better internal amplifier, better display, and so on.

Oh, and with regard to concerns about theft, there are some that have those options and stil retain a pretty plain appearance that doesn't scream "steal me" like the higher-end stuff.

You got my interest with your comments regarding finding better head units that would accomidate steering wheel controls, and have bluetooth and ipod interface. All three of those items are important to me as I will practically be "living" in my TC. Are you familiar with brands or specific units that would work as you say for the TC? Thanks you!

Check crutchfield.com; all you have to do is plug in year, make, model, and it will tell you what fits. From there you can narrow down to the units that have the features you want using the checkboxes on the left side. That's what I did. I just can't replace the head unit because in my case this is a fleet vehicle, I do not own it.

Check crutchfield.com; all you have to do is plug in year, make, model, and it will tell you what fits. From there you can narrow down to the units that have the features you want using the checkboxes on the left side. That's what I did. I just can't replace the head unit because in my case this is a fleet vehicle, I do not own it.

awesome!! thank you!

• 2 months later...