ActiveIndy

Sliding Door lock mechanism malfunction

Hey gang!

Looking for a bit of help again - in the past week the lock mechanism on the drivers side sliding door has started malfunctioning. When it attempts to lock it makes a pretty loud "whirring" noise like it is attempting to lock but in the end it ends up staying unlocked. This happens when I use the keyfob as well as when the autolock feature kicks in every time I put it into drive and start driving.

Tried searching the forum but didn't find this issue already documented. Any ideas what I'm dealing with?

There wasn't any "event" that I can think of that prompted the issue to begin happening...any thoughts on troubleshooting this issue?

Sounds like the lock motor may be going out. Maybe ?

I have the same problem with my '10 XLT Wagon driver side sliding door power lock. That whirring noise is LOUD. Pretty embarrassing in a parking lot if anyone else is around! I removed the inner door panel and lock, and it does seem as though something inside the power latch/lock mechanism has worn out/failed. There are no screws to disassemble the component itself - apparently they are not serviceable, or no inside parts are replaceable. I haven't found any salvage supplier - the one's I've talked to won't separate the lock from a salvage sliding door. Best price I've seen for this part is about $230 on eBay.

My driver's side sliding door lock started chattering and the first thing I did was take the panel off and tape a dollar bill on the door frame contacts. I was then able to manually lock the lock and leave it locked until I could fix it (OK, I couldn't fix it, because I was scared to get the can opener and open it up, but my brother the amazing mechanic didn't even slow down).

He opened up the tabs on the lock box and fiddled with the motor connection to the lock and got it to work and it's been working for almost a year. You can probably do this too, once you're over the idea that they don't want you to fix it. The thing is broken, so you might as well give it a try.

David

Glad to hear others have had the issue too. One interesting development on my end is that when I first started this thread I described the noise was happening when I was locking the van. Now the loud whirring noise it has switched to occur only when I'm unlocking the van.

David - any chance you can snap a photo of the tabs/lock box area so I know exactly where to start poking around? I'm not afraid. :)

I am having the same problem.... with the door & lock noise, I taped off the contact at the door the noise has stopped so how difficult is it to take out the door lock?