Ford Transit Connect Forum

Turning on the cabin lighting, HOW?

carlb28

2015 transit connect titanium with my sync.

If I want to check the status of my second and third row guests, when they go quiet and I expect them to be sleeping, I want to turn the cab lights on quickly to see them asleep or not. For the life of me I cannot figure this out, and yes I have combed the manual to no avail.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, CarlB

My 2014 cargo van ,the rear interior light only comes on when any door is opened .There is no other way to turn it on .

WTF was Ford thinking ????????????

that design sounds pretty silly. needs a 3 option switch: off - on - door on, just like any normal cabin light.

No the light switches are three way, but if I am driving and want cabin lighting, I can only turn on what I can reach. Seeing anything in the back is not possible.

so if they are 3-way, then Mustang should be able to turn them on without having to open the doors.

your lighting needs sounds a bit more difficult. Curious, does this type of option exist for other minivans like an Odyssey or Sienna?

maybe you can add some type of light and switch setup with a light that isn't very bright (blue LED) so you can see what's going on without waking passengers up.

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/blue-led-interior-lights

http://www.amazon.com/4pc-Blue-Interior-Underdash-Lighting/dp/B000UV8FNS.

Edited by windguy

Very strange. My first generation Transit Connect does not have the issue. When you use the switch in the overhead light between the sunvisors, it turns on both rear interior lights and the light between the sunvisors. When you open the door, all the interior lights come on.

So on my Flex, the dimmer switch was used to turn on the overhead lamp when you dialed in max brightness and went past a detent. I don't think I tried the front switch to control the two rear lights. The odd thing is that this isn't called out in the manual is a flaw.

CarlB

Ok I just went through a few scenarios and the only light I control from any switching gear is the one up front. If I open the door, then the lights all come on. This is a problem, and a flaw IMHO.

bingo same thing with my 2014 cargo van , you can not turn on the rear light unless you open a door . I'm sure Some bean counter at Ford got a bonus because he saved a few pennies on production costs .

bingo same thing with my 2014 cargo van , you can not turn on the rear light unless you open a door . I'm sure Some bean counter at Ford got a bonus because he saved a few pennies on production costs .

I thought carlb28 said they are 3-way switches: on-off-door?

I would expect that as a minimum. being able to switch control the cargo light from the driver's seat a nice feature but an extra.

Mine is a titanium wagon, not a cargo version. The second and third rows have a light with three way switch above them. The forward cabin has that plus reading lights for driver and passenger. I have taken to Twitter on this matter, and the folks there tried to point me to the manual. Been there done that, no joy.

Nearly every passenger vehicle has the ability to turn on the cabin lights without opening a door. Essentially a button that could also open the same circuit that is tripped by the door switch would be all that is needed.

Hello carlb28. I checked the wiring diagram I posted on another topic. Not that you need confirmation, but the rear cabin lighting is on a independent circuit from the front cabin and yes, the taxi package has a switch from the drivers position to control the rear cabin lighting.

Edited by 103west43rd

Hello carlb28. I checked the wiring diagram I posted on another topic. Not that you need confirmation, but the rear cabin lighting is on a independent circuit from the front cabin and yes, the taxi package has a switch from the drivers position to control the rear cabin lighting.

good research.

if the rear cabin lights come on when any door is open, then where does the wire for that originate?

my guess would be under the dash where all the other door switch wires end up and it seems like you would be able to modify and add a switch, no?

windguy, I am not suggesting to carlb28 he start to modify his wiring. From his posts, I do not think that is the way he wants to proced.

understand. more of a curiosity thing for me. not a requirement for me but I can see times when it could be useful.

it would be great if Carlb28 can get this sorted out by Ford as a design change.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a 2014 Ford Transit Connect Titanium and if you look right above where you are sitting are all the controls for the overhead lights. The Big button is the map light will only turn on your light and no other lights. The other button in blue is the door light, if it is lit up blue then it will turn the lights on with the doors open or when you unlock the doors with the fob. the off button light up yellow when it is on and shuts the lights off unless you turn on the map light or the door light. they are above the driver, passenger and I have the panoramic windows roof so I have one more light in the middle of the back seats right after the window in the roof. I included a picture so you can see the buttons if it helps out. There are no controls for these on the dash anymore, the controls are only on the roof with the buttons.

post-4657-0-48096600-1422401425_thumb.jp

• 10 months later...

giving life to an old thread.

I was in handyman mode last weekend at my mother in laws. A twice a year ritual.
Love the TC for hauling needed tools and then some.

Had the van parking in her garage and I typically leave the driver's slider door open all the time.

Doing so, it would be too dark inside the van to see anything. I'd have to open the driver's door to get the cargo light to cycle on.

If the roots of this van are for commercial use, then why such a lame lighting system?

I had plans to add a three-way switch somewhere in the rear and move the cargo light to the center back for more even light.

I will also try to add a three-way switch near the slider door opening and add more than one light.