Ford Transit Connect Forum

rear window shattered from defroster?

Leaving for work this morning the windows were fogged so I put on the front and rear window defroster. Light rain with temp in the upper 40's. Drove 5 miles and while sitting in the parking lot the left rear window shattered! Nothing hit it so I'm guessing the defroster element wires may have something to do with it. I noticed the leads at the bottom of both rear windows look discolored, almost burned. I covered both sides with duct tape to hold it together until I can get it repaired. The auto glass shop quoted about $250 for a new window and said they see this happen often.

The Ford manual says "the rear window defroster will turn off after a predetermined amount of time, if a low battery condition is detected, or the ignition is tuned off" Maybe mine isn't turning off and overheating the element and glass?

I'll stop by the dealer next week and see what they have to say.

Edited by Jaymz

• 2 years later...

My right rear window did exactly that this morning, driving on back road, no other traffic around, BIG crack sound and window totally shattered. Believe it or not, the left rear window did it as well last October. First time called insurance co and had it replaced. This time went to dealer explained situation, they took some pictures and contacted Ford Warranty. Called me an hour later and told me they would replace it. Thanks Ford!

• 2 years later...

This just happened to me. Temp was 47, defrost was on and heater was on 10+ min before I left. Once on the road, the back window of my 2016 ford transit connect exploded. There was a little dew but no rain or snow. I’m in shock. I grew up in Buffalo New York and never ever experienced or heard of this. 

• 8 months later...

This just happened to me. Air temp was about 50° and I had been driving with the rear defroster on for 15-20 minutes. First time I had used the rear defroster since last winter.  

Before it happened, I noticed that two adjacent lines of the rear defroster on the side that broke were not working. They were in the middle of the window, and right where the shattering occurrred. Thankfully the glass did not make it to my baby in the backseat! Anyways, I guess you are not alone...

2013 high-top with 58,000 miles

Edited by halfalpine

Years ago my wife had a side window shatter in her GMC Safari.  Driving down the road and there was crack and the shattered window fell out!  It did not have defroster wires but as I recall would open a little bit - it was not open at the time.  The dealer replaced it without any issues under warranty.  I eventually decided it was due to stress on the glass.  I haven't used the rear defrost much if at all.  I'd get the defrost checked yo make sure it is functioning correctly after the glass is replaced.  For replacement glass my recommendation is to make sure quality replacement glass is used.  Several years ago while visiting out son in Albuquerque NM, my W rabbit was broken into with the passengers window being shattered - thieves got a nonfunctioning XM radio (LOL)!  They also broke into my sons Vibe.  Took the Rabbit to the VW dealership while he called a nation glass replacement company.  VW dealer couldn't get OEM glass so put a Chinese made window in.  Sitting in the back seat the waves in the glass were very apparent.  8 or 9 years later we both still have the cars, both windows still go up and down and the VW window is still wavy - not fun to look thru from the back seat.  His window was much cheaper, and much better!!! I complain to VW but they really didn't do anything.  That was the last VW I bought new, bought one used since then but after my success in recent years with VW's I am done with them.  In addition the VW dealership didn't do a very good job of cleaning up broken glass in the car.