Ford Transit Connect Forum

Is this the ATF I want for my 2010 XLT?

Timbo

I’ve decided to pull the trigger on the Mazda oil pan, with drain plug, for the transmission, along with a gasket and filter set, but I want to make sure I’m getting the right ATF.
Is this the stuff they use from the factory?

The 5 quart bottle is $29 on Amazon.

My local parts store wants $9 a quart. ?

477A8D95-9968-4A9F-A470-860D2B604CBC.jpeg

Edited by Timbo

You don't have to use Ford Mercon brand.  There are other "low viscosity" ATF.  I'm using Valvoline.  It works fine, and a lot less expensive.  I recall that other forum members have used several other brands also.  Even Wal*Mart sells a SuperTech labeled for "LV" specification.

image.png.ff4161998f8ad8289ae94f09c8adf9d7.pngimage.thumb.png.a5320d3b2c1e8237f4ea95c35789df32.png61A4niTW6RL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Screenshot 2021-11-13 20.43.21.png

Screenshot 2021-11-13 20.39.56.png

Screenshot 2021-11-13 20.38.51.png

Cool, thanks. 

I'm about the change the transmission fluid in my XLT by draining 3 quarts at a time, via the drain valve in the Mazda pan I'm installing, but wasn't sure it would be OK to mix different kinds of ATF while I did.  

I won't be mixing synthetic and non-synthetic, but I'm unclear if there are incompatible differences between different kinds/brands of fluid, even if they were both non-synthetic.  

On 11/13/2021 at 11:24 PM, Timbo said:

wasn't sure it would be OK to mix different kinds of ATF while I did.  

You will be fine mixing brands.  Just be sure that whatever fluid you choose, it is labeled as LV fluid.  Don't use Dex/Merc, Mercon V, or anything else which is not specifically labeled as low viscosity.  Also check the label to make sure that the fluid meets or exceeds Mercon LV specifications.  

My next ATF exchange will involve Mag1 ATF.  There is an LV formula which I got at a reasonable price.  Note that it is licensed by Ford.  

image.thumb.png.592fe46d20e46e3f46c47655bfcb756f.png

image.thumb.png.efa8c35ab52d7beb3801e76e9cef122f.png

• 4 weeks later...

When I did my pan drain plug and new filter the total drained out was 4 quarts, I used the Valvoline synthetic. 

Then after 500 miles I drained via the plug, this netted 3.7 quarts. Added that amount again with the Valvoline and the shifting has improved substantially over what it was when I bought it with 96k on the clock and who knows if it had ever been serviced.

Post back after you install the Mazda pan, that was a great find !

• 2 months later...

I bought the Mazda pan with built-in drain plug, but I'm unsure what kind of ATF the shop used the last time they flushed my transmission.  

It could have been the factory fluid, but who knows.  

Now I'm thinking maybe I'll let them do another flush and ask them what they used so I can top it off with the correct fluid when I do the pan swap.  

I doubt they used full synthetic, but if they did, it wouldn't do for me to top off with the wrong stuff.