Ford Transit Connect Forum

Back up camera wiring suggestions needed

Ronzara

I’m adding a backup cam to my 2015 TC XL. 
I already bought the kind that mounts on the rear license plate (not wireless). 
I’ve already mounted the camera and routed the wiring up through the rubber grommet inside the rear door. 
I’m scratching my head about where to power the system. It will run from one power source connected at either end.  
id like for the system to work all the time versus only when backing up (putting curtains on rear windows).
So,
I’m wondering if I should tie it in with the License plate display light and just run with the parking/headlights on all the time, or splice into the tail lights, or the running lights on trailer hitch harness OR should I find dash power that only works with key on??

I could use the front dome light and add a switch in the overhead console to turn the camera on/off but I really want to mount the monitor in the dash instead of up high and that light is not key operated. 
many options right??
I don’t want a possible drain on the battery if I forget to turn it off, so a key accessory/on only is necessary. 
Or?

is there a better way? 
is there a way to do a dedicated wire to fuse box that’s only on with key?? 
help me out please.

thanks, RZ

Edited by Ronzara