Ford Transit Connect Forum

Buying 2015 Transit Connect

Hi there, new to the forum looking for some opinions on a FTC I'm looking at. Unfortunately, there is just a lack of info on Consumer Reports about these vans. I'm looking at a 2015 FTC passenger with long wheel base. It is priced at $10,500 and has 80k miles. I'm most concerned about reliability and whether I should be looking for something with fewer miles. I'm comparing it to minivans, most of which cost significantly more and get less gas mileage. Appreciate any thoughts.

Transit Connect is a minivan, so you're just comparing some different minivans, lol. I have a '15 TC XL LWB windowless cargo that I bought brand new in June 2015 and I have nearly 123,400 miles on it now. Aside from standard maintenance stuff, all I've had done is the safety recall on the sliding door latches (verify that has been done on the one you're looking at Ford Latch Recall Website, you'll need VIN and the date codes from the latches, 4-7 digit number on each), a front passenger wheel bearing under warranty (turns out it was actually fine), front struts (the passenger one was blown and causing the noises I thought were the wheel bearing) and I did brake pads on the rear because of very uneven wear - come to think of it, I ought to pull the rear wheels soon and check on them now that the new pads have 15-20K miles on 'em. Original tires got pulled around 70K miles when one pair reached the wear bars; the van ("wagon") you're looking at should probably already have new tires since it has 80K miles.

Aside from that, there's been various customizations and add-ons specific to what I want and how I use my van, including getting the BCM updated by Ford and then having them turn off the annoying perimeter lights (or "dark mode" to some, y'all can use search feature in the forum for more info) and adding OEM cruise control myself & the factory "large" side mirrors to replace the factory "small" ones. Overall, I do like the van, but I still wish I could have afforded a full-size Transit 350 extended-length high-roof, instead - which would have been much better overall for my own use, lol. 

For what it's worth, the asking on that passenger wagon/van does sound pretty reasonable, too. 2014-15 TC cargo vans around me (north-central Texas) are going for $7-9K and of course they tend to be beat up a lot more from commercial use. 

• 1 year later...
On 8/11/2020 at 9:45 AM, jrm223 said:

Transit Connect is a minivan, so you're just comparing some different minivans, lol. I have a '15 TC XL LWB windowless cargo that I bought brand new in June 2015 and I have nearly 123,400 miles on it now. Aside from standard maintenance stuff, all I've had done is the safety recall on the sliding door latches (verify that has been done on the one you're looking at Ford Latch Recall Website, you'll need VIN and the date codes from the latches, 4-7 digit number on each), a front passenger wheel bearing under warranty (turns out it was actually fine), front struts (the passenger one was blown and causing the noises I thought were the wheel bearing) and I did brake pads on the rear because of very uneven wear - come to think of it, I ought to pull the rear wheels soon and check on them now that the new pads have 15-20K miles on 'em. Original tires got pulled around 70K miles when one pair reached the wear bars; the van ("wagon") you're looking at should probably already have new tires since it has 80K miles.

Aside from that, there's been various customizations and add-ons specific to what I want and how I use my van, including getting the BCM updated by Ford and then having them turn off the annoying perimeter lights (or "dark mode" to some, y'all can use search feature in the forum for more info) and adding OEM cruise control myself & the factory "large" side mirrors to replace the factory "small" ones. Overall, I do like the van, but I still wish I could have afforded a full-size Transit 350 extended-length high-roof, instead - which would have been much better overall for my own use, lol. 

For what it's worth, the asking on that passenger wagon/van does sound pretty reasonable, too. 2014-15 TC cargo vans around me (north-central Texas) are going for $7-9K and of course they tend to be beat up a lot more from commercial use. 

our linen service guys tall Transit 350 blew over on the highway during a storm a few years back.  He hates it.  ;)

I bought Bilstein shocks front/rear to put on my 16 and was stunned at the 1,000 quotes to install front strut cartidges!!  WTF??? 
Is this thing a nightmare to work on?  Ala PT CRuisers?  Not a lot of room in under the hood.  ????

65k on mine and i'm wondering if I want to keep it long term.  Nice to hear of your good record. Another guy here with 300k or close.  2.5??

Mines been flawless and I love the little thing.  But it's also worth 20k.

Hmmmmm

Edited by MLB