Ford Transit Connect Forum

front strut

Lost right front strut at 11K miles, did not wan't my Transit parked at the dealership for the next century. Maybe it's a single incedent, but kinda wired to have a little rattle since new going to bouncing like crazy. Replaced the right Strut on my own dime and now no noise at all, anybody else has a rattle in the 2019 xlt LWB since new ??

anyhow, its not a terrible job to do, got me a new Bilstein replacement strut and going to get the driver side before that one dumps out next

Picture shows collapsed strut, no longer has a gas charge and half its stroke no resistance pulling or pushing the rod

DSCN1515.JPG

I had to replace the front struts on mine (2015 TC cargo) last summer. Right-front was also the one blown, but it went at like 70K miles or so and I finally got around to replacing it at roughly 105K. Since I knew everything was going to be apart anyway, I did both sides at the same time. I've always been the type to replace things in matched pairs, even light bulbs.

Unfortunately, RF corner is back to making noise shortly after, although the strut seems to be fine since I can't really bounce that corner of the van with body weight like I did with the old blown strut. CV boots look fine and the wheel bearing was replaced @ 102K when I thought my old noise was the wheel bearing and it was actually the bad strut, so I need to get in there more to figure out this other noise sometime. I used the 'preloaded' struts from RockAuto that already have new springs on them, since I don't have a way to swap springs over and this is my only driveable vehicle. 

On 5/7/2020 at 9:08 PM, mraubold said:

Lost right front strut at 11K miles, did not wan't my Transit parked at the dealership for the next century

Good Call. Put the strut in a box and send it to the President of Ford Motor with a note I bet you get some Money.

Give me the address, i might try that. I still think i get more noticeable things out of it dropping it on my foot. i know the pain of getting the runarounds and warranty claims with stealersips, seen too many bad things with lots of disappointed owner of new vehicles being afraid to loose an arm and a leg visiting the Dealers

Jim Hackett

President and Chief Executive Officer, Ford Motor CompanyFord Motor Company
Customer Relationship Center
P.O. Box 6248
Dearborn, MI 48126

At worst you will not have to put it in your Trash!

Edited by G B L