Ford Transit Connect Forum

Thule Roof rack and ARB Awing

46 minutes ago, Bigfoot said:

Has anyone purchased either a Thule 

Trac rack ES or a Thule Evo wing bar for there TC ?

i have an ARB awing and I need to attach it. 

No factory rack. 

Thanks 

Do you factory tracks or nothing?

Start by using the search feature of this forum. Try "ROOF RACKS". There are numerous threads to be found. One sample below.

34 minutes ago, Bigfoot said:

I have nothing. I tried the tread but if does not answer my question. Mostly involves factory racks. 

Thank you

Okay, no tracks on the roof. Then why do you care about the factory racks?

How wide is your awning?

Do you need to have roof racks for other purposes, other than the awning?

If not, I would provision two or more mounting brackets for a low cost solution. You might be able to find brackets already made for a ladder rack application.

The only downside is that they would be fixed in place when you're not using the awning. That's where a rail and removable foot has its advantage.

You'll have to share more about your requirements.

Edited by windguy

I have nothing. I tried the tread but if does not answer my question. Mostly involves factory racks. 

Thank you

i care nothing about Factory racks. 

I don’t have any rack and I don’t want factory. My question was 

Has anyone purchased either a Thule 

Trac rack ES or a Thule Evo wing bar for there TC ?

i have an ARB awing and I need to attach it. 

Your going to have to have something on the roof that the ARB awning can attach to. 

A couple of years ago I posted here how I used Unistrut to as the basis for a roof rack system- look for the post; "DIY roof rack for under $100.00."

With the Unistrut attached to the channels in your roof, it would be really easy fabricate something for the ARB gusseted "L" brackets to attach to, either for permanent or casual use. 

You already have the holes in channels of your roof, they have plastic plugs in them. I drilled through the plastic plugs, inserted bolts through the holes in the bottom of the Unistrut and then and tightened them down with nuts and washers on the inside.  I put some silicone glue around the nuts to prevent any leaks and that hasn't happened. I painted the Unistrut black first and had to slightly bend them to fit the curvature of the roof. As I said, the Unistrut is mounted permanently to my roof, but it's pretty low profile. 

With the accessories you can buy for the Unistrut, you'll have several options for attaching your awning. 

It's pretty simple to do if you have a cargo van, f you have a passenger van,  you'll have to remove the roof liner.