Jump to content
   
JerryP

Knocking Banging Noise from rear when brakes applied

Recommended Posts

My 2012 TC still has a banking or knocking noise from the rear when I apply brakes. This noise has happened before when it needed new rear brakes but I had them replaced and drums turned last week. The noise is still there. Usually when I have driven for half a day and they’re warmed up but sometimes when they are cold in the AM. Any ideas?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
   

Check the rear shock absorbers.  The bushings or even the shocks may be worn out.  But it does sound like a bushing somewhere in the rear suspension.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you are going down a long hill with the brakes applied does the noise repeat at a certain rate or is it once per brake application ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, G B L said:

If you are going down a long hill with the brakes applied does the noise repeat at a certain rate or is it once per brake application ?

Not on light application going down hill but on heavier braking when I stop it starts banging. Today I can feel it through the seat. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, davidparker said:

Check the rear shock absorbers.  The bushings or even the shocks may be worn out.  But it does sound like a bushing somewhere in the rear suspension.

I’m taking it back to the shop tomorrow and I’ll  have them look at that. Right now it doesn’t seem like brakes, although that’s when the noise occurs. Thanks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/19/2019 at 9:08 AM, JerryP said:

I’m taking it back to the shop tomorrow and I’ll  have them look at that. Right now it doesn’t seem like brakes, although that’s when the noise occurs. Thanks. 

Yep. That was it. Replaced both rear shocks and no more banging noise. Thanks for the advice. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×