Sign in to follow this  
Jakeman

No Syncro on 1st gear

Hi folks 

clutch on its last legs. That’s okay. But synchromesh gone on 1st gear. Could this be the clutch?  If I ignore it am I asking for future trouble. Will obviously replace clutch, but should I replace clutch and box?

thank you

paul

That depends on how annoying the lack of syncro is for you?

Im not sure on the TC, but many first gears are not synchronized, so in most transmissions a bad clutch will definitely cause a problem with shifting into 1st.  Even with a synchronized gear, a bad clutch will cause undo wear on the other synchronizers and gears.  So I would definitely replace the clutch.  Even if it doesn't fix your first gear, it will still save wear on tear on the transmission and probably delay the expense of a new gear box.

The good news is that you have a manual transmission.   Unlike us here in the US, we can't even get a manual transmission.  So when we lose a gear we are screwed! 

All the Gears in that Transmission have synchros.  The one going into first  works hard if the driver is impatient and makes the syncrhro change the shaft speed. A new clutch and matching the engine and transmission speed carefully will allow the useful life to be extended to almost unlimited mileage.