• Custom Search

Hi, 

I'm servicing my van myself and cannot locate the oil filter anywhere. 

Can anybody provide any assistance?

The big panel between the wheel wells.  Not the small panel behind the bumper. Drain plug is towards rear, filter on front side of the engine.

The cover that protects the underneath of the engine has been taken off and can see access to the drain plug but no filter.

Look up, from the front of the oil pan, between the engine block and the radiator.  

You will see that on my Transit Connect, I installed an FL-400S filter.  It is taller than the OEM FL-910S.  Fits fine.  Same thread pitch, canister diameter, and gasket.  More capacity.  Some people will argue against using anything other than what the Owners Manual says.  

Untitled.jpg

Nice Photo Fifty 150, Just remember all the filters have a bypass that sends the oil around the filter on cold starts and full throttle situations.

I can see there is no mud and salt where you live, my photo would not be as clean!

I think that the bypass & drainback specs on the FL-400S & FL-910S are close enough that it would not make much difference.  Internal parts of both filters are almost identical.  So far, I haven't had a problem.  Same controversy with using FL-1A, which is significantly larger, on cars which call for FL-400S.  

Typically, the people who are against doing it, don't do it. And people who are doing it, don't have problems, but don't factually yield any tangible results.  In all those years, not 1 Windstar, Ranger, or whatever, ever blew up because of the larger filter.  Plenty of Pintos blew up, but that's another story. I had a Mustang II.

7 hours ago, G B L said:

Nice Photo Fifty 150,

Thank You G B L.