Ford Transit Connect Forum

Van Guard Ulti bar roof rack

I got this roof rack set on ebay for $150 shipped from UK to USA (AZ).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Van-Guard-ULTI-Bar-Aluminum-2-Bars-Roof-Rack-Ford-Transit-Connect-2014-on/182427086757?hash=item2a79806fa5:g:uD8AAOSwNnRYgKC8

It's a nice set of 2 bars with all necessary mounting hardware.

The only thing I will mention is that it mounts to the forward and rear most mounting locations.

So, if you have a LWB van, the bars end up more than 6' apart.

Van Guard makes a 3 bar kit, though I haven't seen it on ebay.

I asked the seller if I could get just the center bar and mounting brackets, but they said no that's not possible.

BTW it comes with 4 ladder stops - nice setup. PLUS, even with the ladder stops on it clears my standard garage door.

The bars themselves are 55 inches wide - they look perfect on the TC and wide enough for 4x8 sheets if necessary.

20180531_193027_HDR.jpg

Edited by donuts

They look good.  My only concern (based on the home made rack on my previous van) is the single bolt and narrow base of the mounts.  A few good stops with some weight on that rack,  and you should check.  I needed to add a longer plate for the base, because it was folding/bending the roof metal.

Good find.  Was that installed with rivet nuts? 

i suppose someone with a long wheel base could order and install 2 sets, since there are already holes in the roof for that. Then they could drive around with 4 bars.  Or just install the bars closer together, since there are already holes in the roof for that.

Hmm, I'll have to check the mounting, can't recall if there was a plate on the underside or what. I installed them last month.

It's through bolted and included a decent gasket, nice and solid once torqued as specified in the instructions.

The problem with the 4 bar idea is that the brackets are all specific to the locations on the roof.

They have it set up so the bars end up perfectly in plane, so the middle locations would need different brackets.

I probably could have tried moving the front bar back one hole location, but the instructions were specific regarding where to install the bars.

The only thing I'm kind of screwed on is if I need to carry a 6' step ladder up there. But, I rarely do that. I carry my Werner multi 22 inside, strapped to the right side.

I found nice D-rings on ebay and bolted them to where the seat belt upper bolts would be. Ace hardware had the correct metric bolts.

I've got a 22' Werner multi but it's so heavy I keep it in the van strapped to the right side. I do love the 300# rating since a 225 doesn't instill confidence - I'm 230...

Plus being able to climb both sides has is really handy especially when doing something like a complicated ceiling fan install with remote receiver and lots of connections.

A friend said he has a 7' fiberglass ladder he's going to give me. I haven't seen this ladder so I'm curious if it's truly a 7' since that would be about perfect for my needs.

He's splitting up with his wife so I think the ladder is currently hostage in the garage - she sill has the house.

I'm a patient guy, I can wait, especially for a free fiberglass ladder.