Ford Transit Connect Forum

If you don't like it, you should not have bought it.

I spent almost a year researching the Transit series of vehicles and the TC imperticular, talking to owners and dealers in the UK to help make my buying decision. I use my TC to earn a living. I'm a medical courier and the TC is exactly what I needed. Plenty of space, easy access, secure and agile. The rear powerpoint I use for a 12vdc cooler to carry specimens. The TC has plenty of power even carrying a half ton of copy paper. I can run 85mph as easily I 45mph. Cost per mile is less than 14 cents and averaging 23mpg. Generally run 160 miles per day, 5 days per week.

The TC was not designed to be everything to everyone, not even close.

I really don't understand why you would spend all that money and not understand what you purchased.

Edited by hal72940

Haven't seen too many haters here Hal. Most of us would like to see some changes/improvements, like those you saw while researching the UK TC's for a year. Most of us switched to the TC from larger more comfortable vehicles. It has big improvements over the larger vehicles, economy and maneuverability being a couple, but creature comfort is not one of them. We'd like diesels, manual transmissions, passenger arm rests, a radio worth turning on, sound deadening.........etc. Mine just turned 40K miles, got it 8/2/10 and it runs 3 days a week. I like it.............could like it better though.

I presume you are referring to the "things that could be improved" topic. Every vehicle has room for improvement. In my case, I didn't buy it... it is a company-provided vehicle and I had no choice in the matter. I like the Transit Connect, but it could greatly benefit from an increased options list. Specifically, it could do with at least the option of a better powertrain (more powerful engine, transmission with more gears), although in my opinion that should be standard. I would hope these things are coming with the redesigned model coming in the next couple years.

If you can run 85 as easily you do 45, the area in which you live and work must be very, very flat and/or you are not hauling much weight. Come to the hills and mountains of Northern California and try to maintain 85 mph on a grade, with 500-700 pounds of cargo in the back. It struggles to do it, and I say this from experience. Going up really steep streets to reach someone's home, I routinely have to hold the transmission in first gear in order to maintain forward momentum.

None of that is a deal-breaker... but I do find it annoying. It makes what I thought was the sad-sack-POS Grand Caravan I used to drive, seem like a powerhouse. A couple extra cylinders can make a big difference.

No real complaints here, I enjoy driving it.

It would be nice if it had a little more power but I'm sure the trade off would be less milage. I am not willing not make that trade!

I just drive a little slower when my load is heavy and I don't get so many down shifts.

No complaints from me. I did my research and knew what I was getting. I think a lot of people perceive the TC as a "minivan" rather than the city delivery truck it was designed as. I make a point of telling people who ask me questions about it that it is a truck, not a luxury people hauler.

As for power, it could use a little more. But I know how to get that power if I want to. It just takes the money to buy the parts. If I feel the need for more power I would get the FSWerks turbo kit and put it on. I have helped put that kit on several Focuses with the same engine and the results are fantastic. I would probably get some parts from LenTech for the tranny at the same time.

If you don't want forced induction there are several exhaust and intake mainifolds available for the engine. They may take a little tweaking to fit the TC since they were designed for the Focus. But that shouldn't bother a real performance enthusiat.

• 4 months later...

I bought my Connect two years ago, I had done some research on the vehicle and it seem to be what I wanted. I got it home and the lock knob on the rear doors broke off but no biggy I was not going to be locking or unlocking it with it anyway. I liked the height of the doors it made it easy to get in and out but the center console and dash made it uncomfortable on longer trips.

I replaced the speakers the 2nd day of ownership, and a week later added a hitch and roof racks. I liked the height of the vehicle until I want to use the roof racks. I had to have help to get any thing up there and I am 6'5" . I guess I didn't do enough research on it because I found that Ford suggested against a hitch on the Transit. The hitch worked OK though I used it to pull a small boat and trailer for my motorcycle or ATV just don't pull out in front of anyone and try to gain speed quick.

I put 31,000 miles on my transit in the 20 months I owned it and averaged about 24 mpg on the highway and a lot less around town. I used it as the family car but the kids complained about the ride and my teenager did not like to be seen in it which made it more enjoyable to me.

I could not believe that it took 41 psi in the rear tires I guess that was how it has 1600 lb load capacity. Yes it did lack power but you would have thought you would get better fuel mileage.

I had a fall out with Ford over the so called warranty thay sold me and their parts and service reliabilty so I started looking for another vehicle. I ended up with a 4 door Toyota Tacoma 4cyl and so far I do like it. I miss my Transit some times but get over quickly when I going home on the interstate or pulling my now larger trailer with 3 ATVs. The Toyota gets about the same MPGs as the Transit did and the dealer parts and service are 100% better.

I have owned a lot of vehicles and more than my share of Fords but this will be my last ford they have gotten too arrogant in the last two years. The dealers act as if they don't care about you after the sale .

• 1 month later...

I totally agree that research is required for any purchase. I can be quite anal about it. Where you live and who you are will determine your wants and needs. Around here in Northern NH, driving faster than 65 mph is speeding and fool hardy to boot. Till I did 15000 miles of driving cross country this last two years, I could not imagine driving at 85 mph ! I quickly learned how !! LOL I did the trip from NH to Washington State in three days to pick up my injured wife.

• 4 weeks later...

85 Ha! :stirpot:

Mine won't do 85 down hill with a tail wind and if you did the wind drift would change lanes for you. As for carrying weight it won't lug around my 500 lbs Braun lift without loosing 5 MPG and loss of ability to get from red light to red light in the flat land of Detroit. Driving across the country it won't get out of it's own way and sometimes going through the mountains I want to hook onto a passing semi going up a 6% grad with it's flashing lights on.

It fulfills my needs as GM quit making the Safari/Astro line of passenger vans which I had 5. It is the only passenger vehicle that will hold a person in a wheelchair without modification. Ford F-250 through 450 are not allowed to be parked in my community driveways and will not fit in a standard 2 car garage. The Transit Connect is much easier to park than most and the turning radius is great. It is one of the last vans that will fit in my garage. It is a fun car to drive around the city at 35-45 MPH.

I tried to order a few more mice under the hood. The diesel is not imported into the US. 54 MPG vs 20 MPG is a criminal. Double the hauling capacity to is criminal not to have it. Maybe the additional weight of the diesel would improve the ride too.

The sound system doesn't compare to the AM systems of the 70's. It will not fit in two of our local car washes so check carefully before scraping your roof. Ford brosure should state scrap for sound system and list what car wash systems you can go through. Never had a problem with my Safari or Astro and they were taller and wider. Roof rails are not an option as they would keep my local car wash from scraping the roof.

Since I only have 7,500 miles on mine maybe it isn't broke in enough to do 85. :finger:

Edited by W8PIE

• 4 weeks later...

Just took delivery of our 2012 TC XLT Prem. Wagon yesterday after a 6 month wait. First impressions are mostly positive.The bucket seat bothers me about the same as most do. The left side puts pressure on my leg that will require me to add a small pillow. Padded seat covers might do it to. I do like the button on the shifter that locks out the OD for ice conditions and down hill braking. My wife would like an adjustable seat like the drivers side. We may look into an English Drivers seat replacement. We have the snow tires on now and the traction control does it's job better than the Venture Van it replaced. I have to add my comment on how well it handles overall. Very tight on the twisties, and,love the braking. I will add to this when we get a few more miles on it.

I just got a 2012 TC XLT premium Wagon the first week of December. So far I am very happy with it and have had no issues.

The only time I have wished for more power is when going 65 on a highway and having to pass someone. It is a little slow getting

up the extra speed,but not impossible.

I've moved around about 500 lbs of photography equipment, printers and computers and even hills haven't been an issue.

The ride is a bit hard and truck feeling, but not worse than a Chevy Blazer I once had. When the stock tires need replacing I'll

look into different tires and wheels.

• 1 month later...

to bad the governor kicks in at 6,500 rpm had mine up to 90 on the interstate Its just getting there thats tough been pushing the revs since 1,000 miles . Hope she blows soon .

PS just brought it to the car wash for the first time since last april when it was new 23,000 miles ago .

yes and im still talking people out buying them .

Just took delivery of our 2012 TC XLT Prem. Wagon yesterday after a 6 month wait. First impressions are mostly positive.The bucket seat bothers me about the same as most do. The left side puts pressure on my leg that will require me to add a small pillow. Padded seat covers might do it to. I do like the button on the shifter that locks out the OD for ice conditions and down hill braking. My wife would like an adjustable seat like the drivers side. We may look into an English Drivers seat replacement. We have the snow tires on now and the traction control does it's job better than the Venture Van it replaced. I have to add my comment on how well it handles overall. Very tight on the twisties, and,love the braking. I will add to this when we get a few more miles on it.

Let me add a few more comments. We are past the 1000 mile mark and the TC has loosened up a bit. I have trouble now keeping it below 60mph on our 50mph roads. A highway trip of 200 miles+ at 70-75 mph got us 26mpg. We have a cargo trailer with a 5'x14' deck on order. The class 3 hitch has been installed. I still start grinning when I look at it,and, every one who sees it does the same. Every one wants to know more about it. Many think it might just be, "For Them"! The gambit of interested people run from burly loggers to socker moms. No big negatives yet. Love the electric defroster!!! In 5 mins it cleans the ice and snow off the windshield before the engine is warm. Do wish I could over ride the traction control! It is not as good as I at getting up our snow covered drive. We pick up the trailer in mid March. It weighs in at 900lbs empty. We will add at least another 1,000 lbs of house hold goods for our 4200+ mile cross country trip in May. We will do a critique when the trip is done. Not sure yet if I will add an Equalizing Hitch. The trip back from the dealer will be the test.