Ford Transit Connect Forum

Car & Driver Comparison

I think I read somewhere the Transit Connect is one of the slowest new vehicles sold in the United States. I believe it. We have an old 1984 Mazda B2000 kicking around in the family, it has 70-something horsepower and I swear even it feels faster. But the 18.3 second quarter mile is hilarious... the lack of power does prevent me from getting into "road rage" scenarios though, so it's not all bad. :hysterical:

• 3 months later...

I think I read somewhere the Transit Connect is one of the slowest new vehicles sold in the United States. I believe it. We have an old 1984 Mazda B2000 kicking around in the family, it has 70-something horsepower and I swear even it feels faster. But the 18.3 second quarter mile is hilarious... the lack of power does prevent me from getting into "road rage" scenarios though, so it's not all bad.

My question has to be: What does it matter. When you have something like the T/C, you don't expect to outrun a Chevy Camaro or a Ford Mustang. :shift:

My question has to be: What does it matter. When you have something like the T/C, you don't expect to outrun a Chevy Camaro or a Ford Mustang. :shift:

Not sure why you quoted me specifically, when I'm not even the one who originally posted this topic, but I'll respond: I don't expect to win drag races, but it would be nice if it could keep up with other modern vehicles on the road. We're in an era where even cars like the vanilla Honda Accord have more power than most people need, yet the TC is slow as molasses. It would be nice to be able to merge onto the freeway, and not have everyone trying to get out of the lane because they don't want to get stuck behind the slow-moving van merging on.

The people who aren't bothered by the lack of power are obviously the people who live by the "slow and steady wins the race" motto, and that's fine for them but not for me... I HATE slow and steady. So sue me. :stirpot:

• 9 months later...

I think I read somewhere the Transit Connect is one of the slowest new vehicles sold in the United States. I believe it. We have an old 1984 Mazda B2000 kicking around in the family, it has 70-something horsepower and I swear even it feels faster. But the 18.3 second quarter mile is hilarious... the lack of power does prevent me from getting into "road rage" scenarios though, so it's not all bad. :hysterical:

I had to laugh when you said it's hard to get road rage in this vehicle. Just today I was rather pleasantly coasting along down the highway behind a heavily laden tractor trailer without a care in the world. If I had been in my CR-V instead of my Connect, I would've sworn out loud and mashed the gas peddle. But in the Transit, what's the point? You're not gonna go anywhere anyway! The perfect antidote to road rage :stop:

• 3 weeks later...

may I suggest a great solution to the lack of horsepower in your TC, A mustang GT for the weekends! works for me. :dance::yahoo:

I have a 6-speed Mazda 6 GT for the same reason 8)

Being a family man, a Mustang would be no go.