Ford Transit Connect Forum

Key blank or replacement

YES. WHEN I PICKED UP MY TC NEW I WANTED AN EXTRA KEY WITHOUT THE ELECTRONICS TO KEEP UNDER THE TRUCK IN CASE I GOT LOCKED OUT. THE DEALER HAD TO ORDER IT. HE NEEDED AN ORIGIONAL KEY TO COPY PLUS THE VIN NUMBER. IT TOOK A COUPLE OF DAYS AND COST $50. IT WILL ONLY UNLOCK THE DOORS AND TURN THE IGNITION, BUT IT WILL NOT START THE VEHICLE. THE ELECTRONIC FOB IS NECESSARY TO START THE VEHICLE.

WOODY

• 1 year later...

Looking at this again since my evening last was a total PITA. I leave my key in the van and use the old style remote I have on my retractable belt key chain. Went in @ McDonalds, got food, came out ......... frigging remote was FUBAR. :rant2: Battery good but it's DOA. Had to call my roadside assistance to unlock my door.

Now according to Woody a non-transponder key is $50. EBay has transponder keys for $13.99. Calling locksmiths and Ford dealer today to see if they can cut them. My only other key was 30 miles away locked up in the store........... :banghead:

See my post of Jan 1 2011 "Determining the Ford Tibbe Key Code"

There will be the rare locksmith that can cut these keys. Dealers have to have Motrcraft USA to cut keys. To the best of my knowledge nobody in Houston cuts these Keys

I did list one outfit that will cut keys in my post

See my post of Jan 1 2011 "Determining the Ford Tibbe Key Code"

There will be the rare locksmith that can cut these keys. Dealers have to have Motrcraft USA to cut keys. To the best of my knowledge nobody in Houston cuts these Keys

I did list one outfit that will cut keys in my post

I sent a message this morning to a friend who is a locksmith. He confirms the difficulty is in getting them cut. CRAP ! :banghead: :banghead:

• 3 weeks later...

Ford OASIS message 1.

4167 -2010-2012 TRANSIT CONNECT IPATS NON-IKT KEY AVAILABILITY

2010-2012 TRANSIT CONNECT XLT EQUIPPED WITH IPATS CAN NOW ORDER A NON-IKT IPATS KEY. THIS IS A 1 PIECE KEY (NO RKE 3 BUTTON KEY FOB), WITH THE FORD LOGO AND A BLUE CAP TO INDICATE THAT THE IPATS TRANSPONDER IS PRESENT. YOU MUST SEARCH BY PART NUMBER: 164-R8051 FORD LOGO KEY (UNCUT) 40 BIT TIBBE OR 164-R8052FORD LOGO KEY (CUT) 40 BIT TIBBE. NOTE: THE 1 PIECE FORD LOGO KEYS WITH THE BLACK CAP ARE NON-IPATS. THEY HAVE NO TRANSPONDER AND WILL OPEN THE DOORS ONLY ON AN IPATS EQUIPPED VEHICLE.

Ford OASIS message 2.

4166 -WHEN PROGRAMMING OR ADDING ADDITIONAL PATS KEYS, VERIFY THAT YOU ARE PROGRAMMING A PATS KEY.

2010-2012 TRANSIT CONNECT WITH THE XLT PACKAGE ARE EQUIPPED WITH IPATS STANDARD.WHEN PROGRAMMING OR ADDING ADDITIONAL PATS KEYS, VERIFY THAT YOU ARE PROGRAMMING A PATS KEY AND NOT A NON-PATS KEY. THERE ARE NOW 3 TYPES OF KEYS AVAILABLE. 1)A2-PIECE PATS KEY (LOLLIPOP/FORK AND KEY-FOB). THE 3 BUTTON KEY-FOB CONTAINS THE ENCODED IGNITION KEY IDENTIFICATION CODE, AS WELL AS RKE. 2)A 1-PIECE NON-IKTPATS KEY (NO RKE 3 BUTTON KEY FOB), WITH THE FORD LOGO AND A BLUE CAP TO INDICATE THAT THE IPATS TRANSPONDER IS PRESENT. 3) A NON-PATS 1-PIECE KEY, WITH FORD LOGO AND A BLACK CAP. THIS WILL OPEN THE DOORS/HOOD/FUEL DOOR ONLY, ON A IPATS EQUIPPED VEHICLE.