Ford Transit Connect Forum

TC Wagon camper

I bought the wagon TC in October.  I am finishing up my conversition to a camper van.  I decided to purchase the wagon vs. the cargo van for hreereasons.

1 it drover a little nicer

2. It was insulated ( a big job that I didn't have to do) 

3.  I am using this as a main vehicle, such as going to work, activities, canoeing, camping, and backpacking.  ( I may actually put the seats back in some day and haul actual people.  LOL

THe two different levels did t bother me.  I used my old platform bed from my previous camper van and modified it.  I added on legs to make the bed even from the two different floor levels.

My storage underneath the platform has two wide sleeves.  The first sleeve is for my paddles, lawn chairs, and portable table.  THe upper part of this sleeve can be accessed from the driver side sliding door.  I keep my PFD's, canoe shoes, canoe water pump, throw bags, tie downs, and tools to fix the canoe.  THe second sleeve of the storage compartment of the platform bed stores everything from toilet paper, to car repair items, to lanterns, flashlights, extra hygiene supplies, to portable heaters, mini fan air conditioner.  I have 20 inches from the platform bed to the opposite wall.  I found a sterility plastic two drawer filing cabinet. I have all of my cookware in one bin and food in the next bin. I carry a small backpacking stove, and a mini kitchen that I found on   Amazon.com. I purchased a second plastic filing cabinet system to put in the back of the first filing cabinet system for my clothing.  

GEtting roof racks placed on the wagon is a pain in the butt. I had to hire a body shop to take down the head liner.  THen I had to take my van to the place where I purchased my roof racks and had them drill holes on the roof to put the rack on.  THe placement of the rack on the roof was a very tough installation.  AFter that was done, I had to return the van to the body shop to have the head liner put back in.  I know am thinking through a curtain system.  I spend about 70 nights a year in my van and need a real curtain system.  ANy ideas?  I purchased track curtain rod system for the two sides, thinking thAt there would be styrofoam support beams inside of the headliner but there isn't any support beams.  I want to place the curtains right above the Windows, and don't want to drill there because both sides of the van has airbags.  

Welcome Laura  Mitchel Love to see the pictures of your build. The curtain hangers could be put on the trim with a structural epoxy that would more than do the Job and would not interfere  with the air bag operation.  

15 hours ago, Laura Mitchell said:

I spend about 70 nights a year in my van and need a real curtain system.  ANy ideas? 

Have you tinted the windows?  Limo tint does wonders.

Epoxy would work nicely.  See below for photos of parts which I would use.  Once you install the pipe clamps, you can always open them to remove the rod and curtains.  This allows you to change to different color rod, and different pattern curtain.

http://www.tapplastics.com/product/plastics/plastic_rods_tubes_shapes/colored_acrylic_rod/148

Colored Acrylic Rods, Colored Plastic Rods, Plastic Rods

Colored Acrylic Rods, Colored Plastic Rods, Plastic Rods

These vibrant-colored rods are available in 1/4” and 1/2” diameters, and have a multitude of decorative and artistic uses. Black and white rods are opaque. Yellow, green, red, blue, purple, fluorescent green and fluorescent red-pink are transparent.
1RUZ3_AS01?hei=800&wid=935
CADDY

Tube And Pipe Clamp

1RUZ3_AS01?$mdmain$

1RUZ3_AS01?$mdmain$

Price$1.18

TECHNICAL SPECS

• Material Non Metallic 
  •  
  • Item Tube And Pipe Clamp 
  •  
  • Max. Load (Lb.) 43 
  •  
  • Type Superklip 
  • Length (In.) 1-13/32 
  •  
  • Width (In.) 5/8 
Pipe Size (In.)
1 Selected

A lot of the stealth campers use Reflectix foil covered bubble wrap insulation that you can get at Lowes and Home Depot. Just cut it to fit tight in the window frame area and push it in when needed. No light plus insulation plus reflect sunlight.

Edited by Boomerweps

Saw at the Home Depot something that might work for you Laura.  3M has the removable adhesive hooks that use no screws.  They are meant to eventually be removed.  The hooks would easily hold curtain style hooks or even shower curtain rings could be used.  They have clear ones that would be practically invisible. The curtains could be easily removed and stowed away.

They come in various sizes.

Screen Shot 2017-01-15 at 11.57.52 PM.png

Edited by Tiller

Did the little flag come with the car?

Of course. That was the main selling point for me.

I've been traveling so I had the dealership hold it for me until today -- so we'll see how she does in the rain.

Just to make sure I'm reading your post correctly -- are you recommending that I add a splash guard? I was considering it.

11 hours ago, pws5068 said:

Just to make sure I'm reading your post correctly -- are you recommending that I add a splash guard? I was considering it.

If you look under the front end of your vehicle, there is already a piece of plastic that is behind the bumper and between the front wheels.  Factory installed.  Pain in The A for DIY activity.  But I guess it helps with mileage, keeps water, mud, rocks, and road debris from your engine bay, and you'll never know it's there unless you crawl under the car yourself.  Might be a good space to stash illicit contraband for smuggling.

Welcome to Transit Connect In The Rain.  We're getting a few good storms this weekend.