Ford Transit Connect Forum

Ford Transit Connect Winter Tires - Do I Need Them?

Transit Connect Guide

Ford Transit Connect Winter Tires

001-2014-ford-transit-connect-van-live62

Ford Transit Connect Forum - Driving on winter tires provides added safety and peace of mind in wet, snowy and icy conditions. Stopping distances are reduced, grip is greatly increased and the construction and tread pattern of winter tires is designed specifically to cope with extreme weather conditions.

1) Why should I fit winter tires?

Primarily winter tires are designed for temperatures below 70C or 44.6 F. They are safer in cold conditions, wet or dry , because the tread compounds heat up quicker to create better grip in lower temperatures. Winter tires use a higher proportion of natural rubber in the tread, minimizing the hardening effect at low temperatures. This results in a higher level of grip providing improved braking distances compared to standard summer tires - 10% in rain, 20% in snow.

2) Are winter tires only for use in snow?
Winter tires are not ‘snow’ tires and will outperform standard summer tires in all conditions below 70C or 44.6 F, not just snow and ice. The wider grooves on the winter tire tread pattern are more effective in slush as well as snow, giving additional traction. The large amount of ‘sipes’ in the tread area create a large number of biting edges which interlock with the surface conditions and improve braking and traction/acceleration. Sipes are tiny slits in the tread blocks that run across the width of many winter tires: they allow better contact between the tyre and wet, muddy and icy roads. The rubber compounds used for winter tires are much softer, which prevents hardening at cold temperatures resulting in improved handling.

3) How do winter tyres perform in wet conditions?
Modern high-performance standard tires have a harder tread compound which is engineered to ensure grip at medium/high temperatures. The molecules in the tread rubber freeze and harden as temperatures fall, thereby increasing the risk of aquaplaning and increasing braking distance. When temperatures drop below 70C or 44.6 F, winter tiresretain more flexibility and are less prone to aquaplaning.

4) Why should winter tyres be fitted in sets of four?
Tires need to perform consistently, particularly braking in severe weather conditions. Fitting winter tires only on the driving wheels is not recommended. If your car is front-wheel drive and the winter tires are only fitted on the front wheels you risk spinning. If your car is rear-wheel drive and the tires are only fitted on the rear wheels you risk sliding off the road while turning. You should ensure that all tires are of the same speed rating and load index. Consequently a mix of winter tires and standard summer tires should not be fitted to your vehicle.

5) Do Winter tires affect my insurance?
While winter tires should reduce the risk of accident when temperatures drop below 70C or 44.6 F, their fitment may be viewed as a modification. They should be in line with the motor manufacturer’s specification and fitted by a reputable dealer. Although fitment of winter tires should not affect your insurance premium, it is best practice to notify your insurance company.

6) If I fit winter tires do I have to drive more slowly?
Winter tires have a lower speed rating than standard summer tires. However the lower speed rating should be adequate in winter conditions – for example dropping down from a V rating (max 149 mph) to an H rating (max 131 mph).

7) Do I have to fit winter tires when driving in Europe?
Before travelling to Europe in the winter months you should check the legislation as winter tires are mandatory in some countries such as Austria, Germany, Finland and Sweden. You should also note that some countries require a higher minimum tread depth (e.g. 3mm) than the legal minimum of 1.6 mm in the UK.

8) What happens when temperatures rise above 70C or 44.6 F?
As the average temperatures between October and March are below 70C or 44.6 F., you should consider waiting until April before changing back to standard summer tires.

Here in Northern Europe winter tires have always been mandatory during snowfall months, lately from December to March. Having two separate types of tires on one vehicle is not allowed due to unexpected behaviour in actual winter conditions. Also, ABS/ESP systems are not designed to work with different types of tires at the same time.

I recommend everyone living in temperate/nordic climate experiencing snow in winter to try out winter/snow tires. It changes everything you knew about winter motoring.