Ford Transit Connect Forum

Camping modifications

scooot

Hello Everyone,

finally got my TC a month ago - only waited 5 months , but who's counting. Well no that i have it i can't wait to drill a bunch of holes and turn it into a vehicle that suits my needs. I plan on using for mixed use, camper/toy hauler on the weekend (and trips) and handyman during the week. And i was wondering if anyone has looked at the truck/van tents out there and if one would fit the TC. Would like to hear about your camping related modifications as well. I bought the van tech roof rails and installed them so i can use of my Yakima stuff. That went fairly well. Didn't car for drilling 4 extra holes in the roof, but i can understand why they want that change.

I am also thinking about putting a switched 12v outlet on the tray above the driver, so i can run a gps, rechargenable flashlight, etc. Anybody do this?

thanks for any advice you have and have a great holiday season.

scooot

• 2 weeks later...

I'm thinking of doing the same type of thing. Just wondering if i can get enough juice off of the power lead to the light assy to run the gps/phone charger/ etc. Instead of running and additional lead. I would like to have it switched off with the ignition though.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I have seen one with an RV type air conditioner placed on top of it. This was at a dog show. The size seams perfect for a dog show van. I am wondering if the engine would be suitable to making long trips...... and possibly run the engine while standing to run the air for the dogs in the back.... maybe for 1-2 hours? I can do that with my Sierra, but that truck is to huge for some of the trips I make.

• 2 months later...

We have a Roadtrek camper van and live in the mountains east of San Diego. Since we are about an hour from town, we used the Roadtrek for shopping as it had a refrigerator for groceries. As we also have a dog, we liked having the Fantastic Vent in the ceiling along with air conditioner and generator, and the toilet. Unfortunately, the Roadtrek is very expensive to operate (10mpg, etc). So we decided to buy a Transit Connect as our Mountain Car.

Our plans are to install two deep cell batteries, a converter (which will permit charging the batteries from the car generator as well as 110v plugin), an inverter (which will permit running a small 110v refrigerator), an air conditioner and a generator. Like Roadtrek, we are looking at installing a window-style air conditioner. They have it so it does not stick out the back of the vehicle, rather the inlet and outlet air use separate routes to dump outside through a mesh cover. The generator is a bit trickier as it produces carbon monoxide. We've been looking at the 1000w portable models and are considering enclosing it in a box that can be sealed to the inside after it is started. Our original thought was to remove the two rear windows and cover them with metal screening. The rear doors would seal against boxes holding the generator on one side and the air conditioner on the other. Then we noticed the structure around the side windows and are now considering cutting holes in the sides.

Has anyone done anything similar? Does anyone know where to buy a service manual? Any thoughts?

We have a Roadtrek camper van and live in the mountains east of San Diego. Since we are about an hour from town, we used the Roadtrek for shopping as it had a refrigerator for groceries. As we also have a dog, we liked having the Fantastic Vent in the ceiling along with air conditioner and generator, and the toilet. Unfortunately, the Roadtrek is very expensive to operate (10mpg, etc). So we decided to buy a Transit Connect as our Mountain Car.

Our plans are to install two deep cell batteries, a converter (which will permit charging the batteries from the car generator as well as 110v plugin), an inverter (which will permit running a small 110v refrigerator), an air conditioner and a generator. Like Roadtrek, we are looking at installing a window-style air conditioner. They have it so it does not stick out the back of the vehicle, rather the inlet and outlet air use separate routes to dump outside through a mesh cover. The generator is a bit trickier as it produces carbon monoxide. We've been looking at the 1000w portable models and are considering enclosing it in a box that can be sealed to the inside after it is started. Our original thought was to remove the two rear windows and cover them with metal screening. The rear doors would seal against boxes holding the generator on one side and the air conditioner on the other. Then we noticed the structure around the side windows and are now considering cutting holes in the sides.

Has anyone done anything similar? Does anyone know where to buy a service manual? Any thoughts?