Ford Transit Connect Forum

Transit Connect1.6TDCi engine self destructed

Wynand

I've got a FTC i.6TDCi bough used at 115k km 2 years ago. I'm situated in South Africa. I love(d) the van features, power and space. This was until 2 months ago, when on a long trip, the cam belt stripped teeth, destroying valves, etc. After re-engineering the head, refitting new valves, rockers, cambelt kit, water pump and thermostat. The engine was running sweetly, for exactly 270km when the number 4 cylinder ran a bearing! 

Now for all you Northerly owners, this wouldn't be much of a problem, as you could probably find parts readily available, new or used. Not so in South Africa! It has become an absolute s..show, with zero part availability from any source, when looking for a con-rod, bearings, rings, etc. Ford South Africa will only sell me a new short block at an extortionate price and after scouring the internet for several weeks, no replacement parts or even a used engine has been found. I'm at my wit's end!

Could someone please help me with the following info:

• What is the engine code used on the 2015 FTC 1,6 TDCi (apparently not even a Ford engine, but a Citroen unit!)
  • Any other engines that would be suitable to run on the 6-speed manual gearbox?

13 hours ago, Wynand said:

Ford South Africa will only sell me a new short block at an extortionate price

What is the price? how long are you going to use the van? Is the van in good shape. How much to replace the van?

Edited by G B L