Ford Transit Connect Forum

Wiper blade replacement 2011 XLT

sKiZo

Wipers getting patchy, so figured to get new blades and slap them on. The Duralast FLEX blades are listed as compatible, so I picked up a set. Figuring to make a quick swap, but no ...... the original blades look to be riveted to the stock arms. Or maybe I'm just missing something. In any case, I decided to hold off before breaking what's at least working for now. Pic is what I got right now.

(Please tell me I don't have to replace the entire arms ... them suckers don't come cheap!)

Worth mentioning, there is a lever by the hinge, but pressing that doesn't seem to do anything. I thought about forcing it with a bigger lever, but once again, don't want to break anything. Also wondering if anyone would know if a standard Anco slip in replacement rubber would fit the stock arms - those hold well to the windshield, but the rubber's pretty bad.

wiper-mount.jpg

Apparently a standard J hook arm. Push, pull, wiggle it all about, swear at it a little, and it popped off. Just didn't want to screw it up is all. Thanx for the assist.

Was also pleasantly surprised to find out I didn't have to fiddle about with all the different adapters included with the blades. Never was good with puzzles, eh. They slipped on right out of the package.

Now all I gotta do is figure out how to get one of  the new ones off seeing as the auto parts sold me the wrong size for the passenger side. The book calls for an 18"er, and I took a 16"er off, but wait ... the 18" is a  tight fit but it tracks well and parks ok, without hitting the window seals, so I guess I'm good till the next time. Even if it did hit on park, I don't suppose it would have been all that difficult to move the whole arm a notch on the mount - either way, no worries.

Good timing though - sh!t's supposed to hit the fan weatherwise over the weekend, but I'll be ready.

PS - I had my doubts about using the Duralast "beam" wipers instead of the conventional spring types I took off, but a quickie test with a hose shows they do a nice job.

qu298049_250.jpg

The real test will come over the winter.

Edited by sKiZo