Ford Transit Connect Forum

Roof Rack Holes

I have a 2014 Connect. The roof rail tracks (which are recessed) have bolt holes with plastic covers. I would like to install custom rails one day but have no idea what is under the plastic caps. If I remove them, can I re-insert them? Or is there a way to seal them off once I pop off those caps? Photos would be nice but not necessary.

Thanks
-Tim

I don't have any photos of the caps or holes, but the little plastic caps have a couple of tabs that you can squeeze from underneath and then the cap just pops up out of the holes. Just make sure to squeeze them from inside to loosen them, I broke the first one attempting to remove it from above! I only removed four of them to put on a 'universal' type two-bar ladder rack, although my original plan was to install custom-bent/profiled L-track that I shaped to the roof a few years ago, but I've never gotten around to installing those. Figured a couple universal bars would be a lot quicker - and I installed them alone in maybe half-hour or so! 

There's really nothing "under those plastic caps", they have a built-in gasket to keep water out and then there's just open holes after you gently remove them, nothing too special. And the holes are not threaded, BTW. The front pair (where my first crossbar is) has small circular holes and I had to open them up a bit with the next bigger drill bit for the bolts to fit through, but the rest of the holes are slightly oblong/oval-shaped (front-back direction) & a bit larger because I didn't have to drill them for the bolts. 

Ladder_Rack01.jpg

11 hours ago, jrm223 said:

the little plastic caps have a couple of tabs that you can squeeze from underneath and then the cap just pops up out of the holes. Just make sure to squeeze them from inside to loosen them, I broke the first one attempting to remove it from above

I don't know if those are meant to be reused. If anyone does reuse them, I suggest a ring of silicone.

• 1 month later...

The covers are way easier to remove from inside the van instead of above. There's a couple of little squeeze tabs that will release the cover from the body quick & easy. I used a screwdriver to push the tabs in enough to release, it was easier than getting my fingers onto the tabs.