Ford Transit Connect Forum

Any SunPass Users in Florida?

TomBanjo

Are any of you TC pilots living in Florida and using one of the SunPass transponders (E-pass or LeeWay as well) for tolls?

I live in the Pensacola area and the Pensacola Beach bridge is going to all-electronic pay collection for tolls.  The SunPass system allows you to buy a window sticker or windshield-mount transponder or else you have to have your car tag read and then they bill you with a monthly administrative fee.  A visit to the SunPass web site says that 2011-2015 Ford Transit Connect with heated windshield falls under "special considerations," but I'm not sure what that means, it seems to be saying that you have to get a bumper-mount version of the transponder.

Mine is a 2015 but not sure about the heated windshield feature.

If you're using the system I'd appreciate knowing how it works for you and where you put the transponder, if that's what you're using.

I think the heated windshield is only available (optional, even?) for Titanium trim level? It will have extra grid wires like back windows, but just along some edges. I have a 2015 TC XL cargo, so no heated windshield, and I have an Oklahoma Pikepass since it made more sense for me than the Texas toll pass (even though I live in Texas, I'm rural and avoid DFW where the NTTA tolls are, anyway - but I drive to IL 3-4x a year and go through OK for it).

Pikepass is one of the sticker types with a tiny RFID chip inside it, and mine is on the windshield about 6-8" up from the bottom & centered in the middle. Since I have a windowless cargo model, I don't have a center mirror to mount the sticker near, so down low and out-of-the-way made the most sense to me and it works perfectly fine.

You can see the white sticker above the wiper arm right here (old pic from last summer).

Pikepass.thumb.jpg.cc37e56939dc470206f07deaadef104f.jpg

The heated windshield has a grid of very small wires across the entire windshield. You can see it if you look closely. It was an option on my XLT. At first the grid bugged me but I got used to it. It clears the windshield in less than 2 minutes. The heater does not stay on very long so the windshield does not get hot. It will not affect suction cups or stickers.