Ford Transit Connect Forum

dfd1125

I’ve got a 2013 Transit Connect that the transmission recently started acting up. It looks to need replacing so I’ve been looking for a transmission to put in it. I see that the Ford Focus has the same transmission so I was wondering if it’s a direct swap out. I can’t find much info online about it other than they share the same model number (4f27e). Is the gearing the same in them? If they are basically the same unit, will I have to tow it to a dealer to program something in the ECM? I have someone that can do the swap but he doesn’t have anyway to program anything into the computer if that’s required. I’ve seen on here people talking about putting a manual in the TC and while I would love that, I’m not looking for that involved of an install so I’m going to stick with an auto. Any insight to this would be greatly appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

Has no one run into this issue at all? From what I've seen, the transmissions in these things is known for problems. I have been trying to use FORScan to see what options can be changed as far as the transmission goes but I haven't gotten it to work correctly either, for some reason I can't get it to read the vehicle configuration. I know this isn't the place for FORScan issues so I am more or less just trying to see if anyone has done or been party to a transmission swap from something like a Focus. I can't really buy a remanufactured one right now. Plus it's easy to find Focus transmissions at parts recyclers so that's why I'm interested in this. Any help would be appreciated.

I think if you don't do regular fluid changes every 25K or so, the TC transmissions may be a bit more prone to failure than some other vehicles.  If you buy a used one that's running fine, a fluid change would be the first order of business for me, as not many people actually do them, so it may be likely that the OEM fluid is still in there

Don't know if there is any direct swap transmission for a TC, other than from a similar year TC.  I would be surprised if a Focus trans was identical in every way and even reprogramming the ECU might not make one a good swap candidate

Don

These types of technical challenges require a lot of research. I have used Forscan and FOCCCUS on my Gen 2 TC and they work fine. I use the OBDlink MX Bluetooth ELM. I don't know if you can change the transmission type and/or if you must also change other modules. I have no experience with the Gen1 configuration.

Here are some suggestions on where to look for info:

1. Ford Focus forums like focusfanatics. Lots of guys modifying those cars.

2. Try looking up your vehicle configuration using the vin on Ford's service website (maybe someone here can provide a link). Then look up the configuration of a donor Focus to see if the transmission and gearing are the same.

3. The Forscan forum is rarely helpful for specific problems, but it has a lot of info on how to connect to a vehicle.

You may be stuck with having a sophisticated shop replace the transmission even if you use one from a TC. I know the Gen2 transmission is controlled and monitored by the ECU (or various modules) so it must connect perfectly to operate at all.

• 1 year later...