Ford Transit Connect Forum

New Front Brakes

Since I spend long periods traveling for work, my vehicle sits in an airport parking lot for weeks at a time.  The first few stops after that are soft, as the rust on the discs is ground off.  This loads up the pads and causing excessive heat for a few days.

I'm usually replacing my rotors and pads every year or so.

64,000+ miles and 3 years is pretty good for front brakes, to me.

Driving style has everything to do with it.  If you are on a freeway most of the time, you will go tens of thousands of miles more.  Because your car is just driving, not stopping.  I am in stop & go traffic.   I step on the brakes, and ride the brakes, at least a dozen times on every block.  I'm getting 16 miles to the gallon, while others are actually getting 27.  It all makes sense of course.  Most cars can idle away 1 gallon every hour.  So if you turn on the van, leave it to idle until empty, you literally got zero mpg.  

My daily commute is 95 miles.  60 of that is Interstate 4 through Orlando ... one of the worst roads in the nation.

Usually, my average MPH (on the display) is around 34 MPH.  That's a lot of stop and go and slow traffic situations.

Up here Driving style might wear the Pads out. It is  the dirt and salt that ruin the rotors .  The pads had 40-50 % left .  The rear pads wore faster On My rig, they got changed a year ago at 45000 miles

I don't have a display on the XL model.  I don't know if I would trust it, even if there was a display.  Same way a lot of people change their oil by odometer mileage, as opposed to waiting for the display to indicate that they need an oil change.  

I use the old fashion method of number of miles driven / gallons consumed.  I try to refuel about every 200 miles.  Average fill-up is always a little over 12 gallons of fuel.  Not scientific enough that I always purchase fuel at the same pump, at the same time of day, et cetera.  But my average mileage has been, in 2 years of ownership, a little bit over 16 MPG.  16.20, 16.6,  16.4......in that range.

4 minutes ago, G B L said:

Up here Driving style might wear the Pads out. It is  the dirt and salt that ruin the rotors .  The pads had 40-50 % left .  The rear pads wore faster On My rig, they got changed a year ago at 45000 miles

Same way cars last longer in Las Vegas.  Dry air.  No humidity.  No rust.  

Any part of the country with snow will effect everything on the car.  The road salt and slush will cause corrosion along the undercarriage.  It makes me want to spray truck bed liner all over the bottom of the car......even though that really won't work.  Or will it?  The Line-X brand in the bed of my pickup is great.  A friend of mine sprayed Rhino Lining inside his Jeep.  We were going to spray the interiors of our work vans, until the accounting department balked at the idea of spending that kind of money on vans which we regularly abuse, and have no intention of preserving for long term ownership.

The cars last  very well in Vegas but all the rubber and plastic parts get killed by the sun.

Any coating used as rust proofing needs to stay soft, a hard coating like Line-X will hide the rust if any water penetrates the coating.